SQL Server 2005 - ROWVERSION with datatype timestamp RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi,

i wanted to read some datasets from a table with the ROWVERSION. Then i wanted to save these records with the ROWVERION- Column in a temp table. Now it seems i cant explicitely write data in a ROWVERSION Column. As i understand its only possible to write a default value in such columns. Only SQL Server itself can write into ROWVERSION columns.

Am i right with this meaning?

Thx in advance...

Greets Kamei

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 11:22 AM

All replies

• As you can read in BOL, they are semantically equivalent to using NOT NULL BINARY(8) or NULL VARBINARY(8).

Example:

create table dbo.t1 (

c1 int not null identity(1, 1) primary key clustered,

c2 rowversion not null,

)

go

insert into dbo.t1 default values

insert into dbo.t1 default values

go

select c1, cast(c2 as binary(8)) as c2

into #t

from dbo.t1

go

select *

from tempdb.information_schema.columns

where object_id('tempdb..#t') = object_id('tempdb..' + table_name)

order by ordinal_position

go

drop table dbo.t1, #t

go

AMB

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 11:46 AM
  • Thx for the help. Think its a good approach. But i have the problem that i need to insert records several times. And that is not possible with the select into method. SQL Server creates everytime the routine is called a new table. If the table exists i get an error message. Wanted to try out the cast operation with an insert select statement. But there i get the same error like before....

INSERT INTO ##temp_tbl select UNITNO, cast(ROWVERSION as binary(8)) as ROWVERSION from [tablename] where FK_LOAD = 'value'

Cannot insert an explicit value into a timestamp column. Use INSERT with a column list to exclude the timestamp column, or insert a DEFAULT into the timestamp column.

At last i want to insert the actual tablename in the temp table in the same row as the selected record. The tablename is in a c# variable. Is it possible to make a statement which also writes the tablename in the temp table at once?

Hope anybody can help.

Greets Kamei

Thursday, May 29, 2008 9:58 AM
  • Kamei,

I do not understand well what you are trying to accomplish here; Why are you using a global temporal table?

You can create the temporary table in advance, using CREATE TABLE statement.

At last i want to insert the actual tablename in the temp table in the same row as the selected record. The tablename is in a c# variable. Is it possible to make a statement which also writes the tablename in the temp table at once?

You will have to use dynamic sql, so I recommend you to read this article, before embarking in this ship.

The Curse and Blessings of Dynamic SQL

http://www.sommarskog.se/dynamic_sql.html

AMB

Thursday, May 29, 2008 12:26 PM
  • Im using a global temp table because i work with the database from a c# gui. Thats just for testing. My aims in this project are to build some c# assemblies that run on the server. But for testing i use the c# gui. With the assemblies i can use local temp tables. But from my test gui it is not possible to access them.

Dynamic SQL isnt the problem in my case. I know the basics of this technic. I just didnt know how to include the tablename in the statement i pasted here. And that is the smaller part of my problem.

My main problem is to get the ROWVERSIONs from my source tables to the temp table. Its like i said. Have to execute the select into statement (that was pasted here) several times. And that is not possible because SQL Server creates every time a new temp table and gives me an error. And the casts of the ROWVERSION for other statements dont work for me. Thats why i ask for an other solution to insert the ROWVERSIONS in one temp table more then once.

Greets

Thursday, May 29, 2008 12:52 PM