none
Programming game? thoughts and ideas? i.e. CoreWar RRS feed

• General discussion

• So Iv'e been thinking of a new project, and decided to make either a CoreWars Simulator or something like it with an easier to use/create programing system.

Not sure just yet, so im looking for any ideas that you might have. I am relatively sure that this will be kinda hard to do in Small Basic but thats what will make it fun :D

31337 - everything can be solved... the impossible just takes longer.
    Monday, September 12, 2011 5:08 PM

All replies

• Before i found small Basic i found core wars and i wasted a whole day or 2 on it, game is terribly bad made for any actual competition, there is nothing pre-made, but the user made warriors, boring...

If you want exactly same, kind of clone of core wars you can't do it in SB, there is no assembly in SB, Pure Basic that i am learning can use assembly with the language ( >.> ).

I love game design and game programing.
    Monday, September 12, 2011 8:22 PM
  • Thats mostly a point a view and the part about creating things is the piont of the game.

It is important to note that you dont need to use assembly in the game as the commands or instructions used to create your warrior are not real assembly. Its pretty much a homemade scripting language for use in the game only and nowhere else.

It truly isnt a game for people who dont have an interest in the more esoteric gaming and programming.

Monday, September 12, 2011 8:39 PM
  • If you do make it, be sure to make it fun or it will be forgotten in a day.
    I love game design and game programing.
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 5:33 PM
  • I will, and since I know for a fact that some people (most :P) wont want to type in the bizarre assembler language I was thinking of adding a drag and drop warrior design kit for the everyone else. Also creating a more visualy appealing graphics view for people who dont want to see dots  and symbols appear and disapear on a linear memory container.

No garuntees that I will be able to pull it all of, at least not right away, most likely to be released in segments as I add each new function/system.

Tuesday, September 13, 2011 8:43 PM
  • DaCodeDude,

I don't know anything about CodeWar, but a little googling looks like it might be a good project for SmallBasic if you can boil it down to some sort of graphical kit.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Tuesday, September 13, 2011 9:12 PM
  • Thanks, I will do, once I get the base system finished I will post it here :D and so on and so forth of course :D

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 8:02 PM
  • OK so the very first Alpha version is done, here's the code so far :D enjoy.

BHC136

Yep looks like a random error write off the bat, but it doesnt effect the code.

Change the:
    virus1file
     = "C:\Users\Valued Customer\Desktop\Projects\Small Basic\Virus Game\vir\virus1.txt"

to were ever you put the test file containg this example code:

ADD 1, 2
    cd
    EndVirus

Let me know if you have any problems and what not, or just what you think.

Thanks!!

Friday, September 16, 2011 11:16 PM
  • I don't know much about this game/project but just looking at your code it has a lot of variables and subroutines containing the word virus people tend to avoid anything contain this word.

But I am looking forward to seeing a working example, is this something that will work through silverlight or just desktop?

Thanks. 

Friday, September 16, 2011 11:25 PM
  • mmm thats true, i suppose i should think of a better name... well i will change it before I release the next version.

It probably wont work through silverlight due to the auto commenting security future off the code upload system they use.
    It comments code that can alter files on your system.

In later versions I will probably make it compatible though :D

Friday, September 16, 2011 11:59 PM
  • I agree...
    ~~AirWaves!!~~
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 4:27 AM
  • Think this topic needs changing to a discussion rather than a question/answer.
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 11:51 AM