none
How to migrate the .Net code from VS 2012 to VS 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• How to migrate the .Net code from VS 2012 to VS 2013 ?

I have a project with more than one solutions currently running successfully in VS 2012.

Now I want to migrate to VS 2013 without any compilation or run time error.

Suggest.

Monday, December 29, 2014 8:41 AM

Answers

• "Now I want to migrate to VS 2013 without any compilation or run time error."

There is no guarantee that errors will not be found during conversion. It depends on the project types and other factors.

That said, it is very likely that your conversion will go without issues.

To be safe, make a copy of your VS 2012 solution folder (keeping the original as your backup).

Open the copy in VS 2013 and allow the automatic conversion process to complete.

Observe any warnings and/or error messages displayed and correct those issues.

Ask here if there are  issues you don't understand.

• Proposed as answer by Anna Cc Tuesday, December 30, 2014 6:14 AM
    • Marked as answer by Anna Cc Monday, January 5, 2015 4:49 AM
    Monday, December 29, 2014 2:11 PM
  • "the requirement is to make the application framework 4.5.1 compatible."

You will need to retarget the projects to .NET 4.5.1 after conversion, then rebuild each project.

"find a process which can convert the code and framework automatically compatible with 4.5.1 and compile"

Sorry, that level of automation is not available. The auto conversion process will produce warning and error messages to guide you, but you must make the needed corrections (if any).

"as well to know if there are any issued with the build"

The rebuilds after changing the target framework will do that.

• Marked as answer by Anna Cc Monday, January 5, 2015 4:50 AM
    Wednesday, December 31, 2014 1:53 PM

All replies

• "Now I want to migrate to VS 2013 without any compilation or run time error."

There is no guarantee that errors will not be found during conversion. It depends on the project types and other factors.

That said, it is very likely that your conversion will go without issues.

To be safe, make a copy of your VS 2012 solution folder (keeping the original as your backup).

Open the copy in VS 2013 and allow the automatic conversion process to complete.

Observe any warnings and/or error messages displayed and correct those issues.

Ask here if there are  issues you don't understand.

• Proposed as answer by Anna Cc Tuesday, December 30, 2014 6:14 AM
    • Marked as answer by Anna Cc Monday, January 5, 2015 4:49 AM
    Monday, December 29, 2014 2:11 PM
  • my problem is almost same but, the requirement is to make the application framework 4.5.1 compatible.

and to find a process which can convert the code and framework automatically compatible with 4.5.1 and compile as well to know if there are any issued with the build.

Wednesday, December 31, 2014 9:39 AM
  • "the requirement is to make the application framework 4.5.1 compatible."

You will need to retarget the projects to .NET 4.5.1 after conversion, then rebuild each project.

"find a process which can convert the code and framework automatically compatible with 4.5.1 and compile"

Sorry, that level of automation is not available. The auto conversion process will produce warning and error messages to guide you, but you must make the needed corrections (if any).

"as well to know if there are any issued with the build"

The rebuilds after changing the target framework will do that.

• Marked as answer by Anna Cc Monday, January 5, 2015 4:50 AM
    Wednesday, December 31, 2014 1:53 PM