updating stops while mouse is moved. Too busy processing messages to update app?

Question

• I'm learning metro development with c++, DirectX, win8 CP, vs11 beta. I've come across some unexpected behavior:

Running the tutorial series ( Direct3D Tutorial Sample 1 ), and any sample or app for that matter, If I'm watching motion on the screen such as the cube slowly rotating, and I move the mouse, the object stops updating/rotating until I stop moving the mouse.

Here is a very short video of what I mean:  http://www.screencast.com/t/cEHkVUaRcw

It even does this with the shooting sample game, which is very mouse intensive. It makes all the motion very jumpy.

I believe it has something to do with the system. I can interrupt the dispatcher from processing messages and it stops manifesting this behavior so it feels like the computer is so busy processing messages that it can't keep up with the rest of the updating. But this problem only started recently so I do not believe it is a problem with my computer's processing power.

Has anyone else experienced this and know how to resolve it or does anybody have an idea into why this is going on?

Thank you.

Monday, April 30, 2012 2:22 PM

Answers

• I finally found the reason for this behavior. I have a password manager app that loads at startup and is designed to automatically input username/password for my various websites.

When, in a metro app (or at least the DirectX ones), if the window core dispatcher is flagged to ProcessAllIfPresent, it spends time each frame loading and unloading one of the dlls associated with the password manager program.

Once I went to the task manager startup tab and disabled that password management app and closed it down, the behavior went away. Starting it back up brings the behavior right back.

I found it by monitoring the output window while running my DirectX app. I didn't notice it until I discovered "Simulator Debugger" mode where the output window was visible while running the app.

• Marked as answer by Shazen Friday, May 4, 2012 2:03 PM
    • Edited by Shazen Friday, May 4, 2012 2:08 PM
    Friday, May 4, 2012 2:02 PM

All replies

• I think this is your video driver's probelm

NEU_ShieldEdge

Tuesday, May 1, 2012 5:43 AM
  • Since this occurs with all apps and sounds like a system issue rather than a programming issue you should ask this question on the Windows 8 section on http://answers.microsoft.com . You should clarify if it occurs with all apps or with all Direct3D apps. As Luke says, a video driver problem is likely.

The sample in your video doesn't respond to mouse input at all, so it isn't a matter of how the app handles input.

--Rob

Thursday, May 3, 2012 2:05 AM
    Owner
  • I finally found the reason for this behavior. I have a password manager app that loads at startup and is designed to automatically input username/password for my various websites.

When, in a metro app (or at least the DirectX ones), if the window core dispatcher is flagged to ProcessAllIfPresent, it spends time each frame loading and unloading one of the dlls associated with the password manager program.

Once I went to the task manager startup tab and disabled that password management app and closed it down, the behavior went away. Starting it back up brings the behavior right back.

I found it by monitoring the output window while running my DirectX app. I didn't notice it until I discovered "Simulator Debugger" mode where the output window was visible while running the app.

• Marked as answer by Shazen Friday, May 4, 2012 2:03 PM
    • Edited by Shazen Friday, May 4, 2012 2:08 PM
    Friday, May 4, 2012 2:02 PM