Error when updating SharePoint Administrator password RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I am getting following error message when i update SharePoint Administrator password.

"Error updating the administration application pool credentials."

I am using following command

stsadm -o updatefarmcredentials -userlogin <domain\username> -password <newpassword>

Any help in this regard will be greatly appreciated...

Monday, April 5, 2010 3:09 PM

Answers

All replies

• 1) Goto to Central Administration Page

2) Click Operations then Click Services Account

3) Click Web Application pool and select the Web service and The application pool.

4) Then modified the account setting acordingly.

Monday, April 5, 2010 3:26 PM
  • Dear EdMatos,

Appreciate your help...

My SharePoint Admintrator Account is a member of a Domain. SharePoint doesn't let you to renew Password from Central Adminsitration > Operations > Service Account. It only lets you to update the credentials.

To renew the SharePoint Admintrator Account Password which is a member of a Domain aswell, first you have to change password from Domain level then you have to update the credentails through stsadm as after changing SharePoint Administrator password no Sharepoint site including Central Administration will be accessable so the only option is to update it through stsadm command line utility. I am using following commands...  

stsadm –o updatefarmcredentials –userlogin DOMAIN\username -password ********
    stsadm –o osearch –farmserviceaccount DOMAIN\username -farmservicepassword ********
    stsadm –o spsearch –farmserviceaccount DOMAIN\username -farmservicepassword ********
    stsadm –o editssp –title SharedServices1 -ssplogin DOMAIN\username -ssppassword ********

See following Link http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934838 for complete details.

But everytime i got following error message

"Error updating the administration application pool credentials."

Tuesday, April 6, 2010 7:49 AM
  • I have faced similar issues previously. The safest method what i used to follow was to 1st do it through UI and then through stsadm commands.

I would suggest you to go to the web server and update the app pool credentials with the new password and then run the stsadm -o updatefarmcredentials . I think this should fix your issue.

Tuesday, April 6, 2010 8:04 AM
  • Tuesday, April 6, 2010 8:23 AM
  • Hi Prasanjit Mandal,

Your post greatly helps me. My Problem has now been successfully resolved. I have updated my SharePoint Administrator Password. Following are the steps to resolve the problem.

1. Click Start > Goto Run > Type Services.msc and press Enter
    2. Stop all those services which are running through SharePoint Administrator Account (e.g. xyzDomain\abcUser). You can check it from Log On As column in services.msc screen. Do it on all SharePoint Farm Servers. In my case i have stopped following services. 

Services on SharePoint Front End Server
      - Microsoft Single Sign-on Service
      - Office Document Conversions Launcher Service
      - Office Document Conversions Load Balancer Service
      - Office SharePoint Server Search
      - Windows SharePoint Services Search
      - Windows SharePoint Services Timer

Services on SharePoint DB Server
      - SQL Server (MSSQLSERVER)
      - SQL Server Agent (MSSQLSERVER)
      - SQL Server Analysis Services (MSSQLSERVER)
      - SQL Server Browser
      - SQL Server FullText Search (MSSQLSERVER)
      - SQL Server Reporting Services (MSSQLSERVER)

3. Now right click each service and click Properties.
    4. In Properties window click on Lon On tab
    5. Now Enter username and password (e.g. Username: xyzDomain\abcUser, Password: **********) and start the service
    6 Repeat steps from 3 - 5 for each stopped service due to step 2 
    7. Restart all SharePoint Farm Machines
    8. Now run following stsadm commands to update the password

stsadm –o osearch –farmserviceaccount DOMAIN\username -farmservicepassword ********
    stsadm –o spsearch –farmserviceaccount DOMAIN\username -farmservicepassword ********
    stsadm –o editssp –title SharedServices1 -ssplogin DOMAIN\username -ssppassword ********

In my case all this works for me....

Thanks all !
    Muhammad Tariq Khan

Tuesday, April 6, 2010 2:44 PM
  • Awesome. Glad I could help you.
    BR, PM
    Tuesday, April 6, 2010 6:16 PM