none
FTP'd down to different computer - Don't want to re-publish entire site RRS feed

• Question

• I had to recently change the computer that I was using with EW2.  I really only use it for one site. 

I had trouble publishing from remote to local, on the new computer, so I used an FTP client to download it to my new PC, and then imported to a new site with EW.  But now when I modify a page(s) on the new PC, EW wants to publish every page and file of my site.  I don't want to have to upload the entire thing.  The latest version already is on the hosted site.  Is there a way I can *tell* EW that it is synced already with the remote site?  Other than the newly updated local pages.

Thanks.

Sunday, May 1, 2011 4:29 PM

All replies

• Use the syncronize feature that you can see when you have both local and remote sites open at the same time.

Expression Web MVP
    Sunday, May 1, 2011 4:36 PM
  • Use the syncronize feature that you can see when you have both local and remote sites open at the same time.

Expression Web MVP

When I click on Publish, on the bottom right I have 3 options

Locale to Remote
    Remote to Locale
    Synchronize

And if I choose Synchronize, it won't copy any files, either from remote to local, or locale to remote?  I've never used it, so I don't know.

Sunday, May 1, 2011 6:28 PM
  • The reason EW wants to publish everything is because you imported the site on your local machine.
    Synchonizing will let EW create it's hidden site management cache so it knows what files are where.

Expression Web MVP
    Sunday, May 1, 2011 9:48 PM
  • The reason EW wants to publish everything is because you imported the site on your local machine.
    Synchonizing will let EW create it's hidden site management cache so it knows what files are where.

Ok, I understand that much.  I just did a sync, and it popped up with a box with a long list of files, looks like the entire site, and my options were "cancel", "overwrite remote files" or "ignore".  I chose ignore.  I then changed one local file again and did another publish, and chose local to remote, and again it pops up a window with what looks like is my entire site, with the same choices.  I could choose to overwrite remote files, and I'd probably be ok after that, but that's what I'm trying to avoid, uploading the entire site.
    Sunday, May 1, 2011 11:10 PM
  • You can't avoid it.  You created a new site in EW by importing your site after pulling it down outside of EW.  You have to publish it up, or publish the hosted site down, pick one.  Otherwise EW has no data to relate the two sets of files.  As far as it is concerned, all your local/remote files are changed compared to each other.

I suspect you would have been done with that in the time this thread has been active :)

Monday, May 2, 2011 12:45 AM