none
Problem editing code after copy pasting

Question

• I wrote a program on my laptop on Visual Studio and then transferred it to my desktop PC's Visual Studio. The language I'm using is Python and after transferring the code, I was unable to properly edit it. What happens is when I type in new code inside a function, it does not know that the new code is part of the old function even though the indentation is as it's supposed to be. 

Sorry if my explanation was unclear - it was hard to explain.

Tuesday, September 27, 2016 4:34 AM

Answers

• I wrote a program on my laptop on Visual Studio and then transferred it to my desktop PC's Visual Studio. The language I'm using is Python and after transferring the code, I was unable to properly edit it. What happens is when I type in new code inside a function, it does not know that the new code is part of the old function even though the indentation is as it's supposed to be. 

Well I didn't even know you could use Visual Studio with Python. However this link Why write Python in Visual Studio? is about that. Apparently only Visual Studio 2015 (I don't know if Community up to Enterprise can do that) can perform that. And some tools are required apparently.

So perhaps the issue is your Desktops Visual Studio not having compatability or something.

What happens on your laptop if you create a new app and copy Python from the program you already wrote on your laptop to the new app and then edit the code? Does the same issue occur?

La vida loca

Wednesday, September 28, 2016 8:38 AM

All replies

• Hi LLukas,

Thank you for posting in MSDN forum.

In order to have a better understanding of this problem, there are some clarifications with you:

1, What are the two VS editions on the laptop and the desktop PC?

2, "Transferring the code" means copy the code source file from one to another VS, or transfer to another language?

3, How about sharing us your program sample code, we could test on our side to check if we could reproduce the same issue, so that we could troubleshoot to find the root cause.

Thanks

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, September 28, 2016 8:27 AM

Well I didn't even know you could use Visual Studio with Python. However this link Why write Python in Visual Studio? is about that. Apparently only Visual Studio 2015 (I don't know if Community up to Enterprise can do that) can perform that. And some tools are required apparently.

So perhaps the issue is your Desktops Visual Studio not having compatability or something.

What happens on your laptop if you create a new app and copy Python from the program you already wrote on your laptop to the new app and then edit the code? Does the same issue occur?

La vida loca

Wednesday, September 28, 2016 8:38 AM
  • @LLukas,

I agree with Mr. Monkeyboy's suggestion, the same app works well in one machine, but not another, the possible reasons:

(1) Your VS version doesn't support this project type. I think you could troubleshoot it in your side:)

(2) You forget to install certain package which was related to the Python developing, or no certain references in your solution explorer window.

Click Help->About Microsoft Visual Studio, compare the installed products in your two VS IDE.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, September 29, 2016 9:49 AM