none
Bad experience downloading software RRS feed

• Question

• I'm having a hard time downloading software from MSDN under the networking schema I have. I think this experience could be shared among many people

I don't have a permanent connection in the location I live, so I use several celular metered lines, with limited download capabilities of 10Gig limit each. Therefore when I have to download large ISO files most of the time I need to stop downloading and then restart the download where I left. There's where my problem comes, resuming the download more often than not fails, using any browser, including EDGE, Chrome, IE or Firefox.

I was used to successfully stop and restart downloads with the discontinued File Downloader.

Of course my provider charges me for all data downloaded, even the failed one so I need a workaround for it.

Thanks in advance for your help

Wednesday, October 26, 2016 1:46 AM

All replies

• I'm having a hard time downloading software from MSDN under the networking schema I have. I think this experience could be shared among many people

I don't have a permanent connection in the location I live, so I use several celular metered lines, with limited download capabilities of 10Gig limit each. Therefore when I have to download large ISO files most of the time I need to stop downloading and then restart the download where I left. There's where my problem comes, resuming the download more often than not fails, using any browser, including EDGE, Chrome, IE or Firefox.

I was used to successfully stop and restart downloads with the discontinued File Downloader.

Of course my provider charges me for all data downloaded, even the failed one so I need a workaround for it.

Thanks in advance for your help

Dear Eugenio,

I appreciate your time and patience on this situation, we have already raised a concern about the Microsoft FTM (File Transfer Manager). Many of the MSDN users are having hard time downloading MSDN products especially when downloading huge filesizes.

As of now you can try the following workaround which I am using by myself

"What is your download speed?

MSDN Subscription product downloads are not compatible with the Microsoft File Transfer Manager "FTM" as it is retired about 2 years ago. You can use browser based download option for minimum sized files. Because no MSDN Sub. products are resumable as the MSDN downloads has a specific time frame to download your files to your PC. Of course to overcome this is situation MSDN team are already looking for a solution and all MSDN subscribers are waiting for it. Please try the following so that you can successfully download the 6GB file from MSDN.

Use the Internet Download Manager as it can resume the download from MSDN and it can throttle the full download speed from your ISP.

Since MSDN downloads server link expires in 3-4 hours time you may not be able to download the ISO completely due to your slow internet speed. You can follow this step to resume the download.

1. Once the file is successfully added into the IDM Queue start your 6GB ISO.
    2. Please stop the download around 2-3 hours time or before it returns with the "Error" in the "Status" column in IDM Queue.
    3. Right click the "6GB ISO file" in your IDM Queue and click "Refresh download address", now the IDM will open the default "Browser" and take you to the MSDN subscriptions page. Please do find your exact "6GB ISO file" and click "Download" in your MSDN Subscriptions Page. You will see "Download File Info" Dialog window. Copy the full link from the "URL" field and close this window by clicking "Cancel" in the same Diaglog box.
    4. Now go back to IDM Queue and right click the "6GB" ISO file and select "Properties" and paste the copied URL in the "Address" field.
    5. Now "Resume" the download your 6GB ISO file will resume download with this new refreshed link. 

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/1edfbabd-01b2-451c-94d9-465c35060f85/msdn-download-fails-after-3-hours-403-error-cant-resume-windows-10?forum=msdnfeedback

Please do reply back if you should have any clarifications.

Thanks
    prathaprabhu

Microsoft Partner, Most Valuable Professional (MVP) and Microsoft Community Contributor (MCC)

• Proposed as answer by prathaprabhu Friday, October 28, 2016 6:27 AM
    Wednesday, October 26, 2016 4:27 AM