Visual studio 2012 RC Invalid License Data RRS feed

• Question

• Just installed Visual Studio 2012 RC Premier edition through MSDN Subscription and when I attempt to run I get the following error ...  Any ideas as to why?

Currently have Visual Studio 2010 Utimate Installed as well as had Visual Studio 2011 Beta installed.

Johnny Larue

Friday, June 1, 2012 12:00 PM

Answers

• Uninstalled Visual Studio 2011 Beta and now Visual Studio 2012 RC runs.

Johnny Larue

• Marked as answer by Johnny Larue Friday, June 1, 2012 6:38 PM
    Friday, June 1, 2012 6:38 PM

All replies

• I tried to reinstall setup option and then got this message ...

..  and same problem as above so I deleted all the event logs and am reinstalling a 3rd time.  In this 3rd attempt I received a message saying that the install could not find a package and it displayed the temporary folder for the package, but gave me an option to download the missing package from the internet which I selected and continued ...

Also get the following about mid-way through installation ...

still installing..

Johnny Larue

Friday, June 1, 2012 2:43 PM
  • Uninstalled Visual Studio 2011 Beta and now Visual Studio 2012 RC runs.

Johnny Larue

• Marked as answer by Johnny Larue Friday, June 1, 2012 6:38 PM
    Friday, June 1, 2012 6:38 PM
  • Hello Johnny,

First, I am very glad you have had your issue resolved. And based on this blog, you issue could be due to upgrading from a “higher” Beta SKU (e.g. Ultimate) to a “lower” RC SKU (e.g. Professional). And the work around is to uninstall VS11 Beta just as you mentioned above.

Thanks.

Vicky Song [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Monday, June 4, 2012 2:08 AM
  • Uninstall "Visual Studio 2011 Beta" did not resolve this issue configuration for me.

There is some program that i should run to clean up this?

Tuesday, June 5, 2012 2:51 PM
  • Same for me, I uninstalled 11 beta and then restarted and installed 2012. No dice.
    Tuesday, June 5, 2012 8:37 PM
  • Install 2012 RC Professional after 'Reuninstall' Visual Studio 11 Developer Preview and delete folders on %ProgramFiles% solved the problem.
    Wednesday, June 6, 2012 12:52 PM
  • At this point I have no hair left on my head...

Uninstalled VS11, failed to completely uninstall, run uninstall again, more errors.

Reinstalled VS2012RC, "invalid license data".

Uninstalled VS2012RC and reinstalled, same thing.

Uninstalled again, removed VS11 folder on disk as well as all VS11 branches in the registry.

New reinstall of VS2012RC, missing packages, event log full, etc. More reinstalls, finally completed, and then - booom! "invalid license data".

There must be something somewhere, on disk or in registry, that can be modified or deleted to get past this problem?

Please, anyone?

• Edited by mio63 Tuesday, June 12, 2012 11:27 AM
    Tuesday, June 12, 2012 11:27 AM