.NET Core Is Annoying RRS feed

• Question

• User-1712008619 posted

Now that I have your attention -- is anyone else finding that the constant updating -- and invalidating -- of .NET Core versions is annoying?

Several times this year, I have tried to look up .NET Core topics such as working with claims out of Azure AD authentication, or connecting Swagger with Azure AD, and every time, I find documentation that is no longer valid because a few months ago, some new release invalidated everything that came before.  Blogs, documentation, etc, is extremely poorly handled due to the frequency of updates and removal/migration efforts from even MINOR version updates!  Try to follow along some guide, and you invariably cannot, because, "oh hey, O2AuthScheme isn't a thing anymore, hope you figure out that you need to use OpenApiSecurityScheme instead. 

Constantly. Can't tell you how many times I have run into this kind of rapid update consequence...

Thursday, July 16, 2020 12:44 AM

All replies

• User-821857111 posted

Count yourself lucky that this isn't Javascript. .NET Core is relatively stable compared to that.

Thursday, July 16, 2020 6:08 AM
  • User753101303 posted

Hi,

It was not a preview? You have now a "Long Term Support" version which is updated only every two years. Try perhaps https://dotnet.microsoft.com/platform/support/policy/dotnet-core

Focusing on LTS should help to stick to a stable version unless you really need the very latest features.

Edit: according to https://thecodebuzz.com/oauth2-authentication-iswagger-open-api-asp-net-core-3-0/ it seems this change was between ASP.NET Core 2.1 and 3.0. For other stuff, unfortunately blogs are not always explicit about which version is used and sometimes you can find information for preview versions that you don't have to use if you don't want to.

Thursday, July 16, 2020 7:08 AM
  • User-782232518 posted

Now that I have your attention -- is anyone else finding that the constant updating -- and invalidating -- of .NET Core versions is annoying?

If .NET Core didn't update frequently enough, another group of users might also find it annoying. So Microsoft cannot please everyone here.

I find documentation that is no longer valid

What documentation? Microsoft Docs, the central place for official documentation, is updated frequently to catch up with the latest changes. However, a personal blog somewhere over the internet can lag behind and rot. Important changes (especially breaking ones) are also covered by official announcements, https://github.com/aspnet/Announcements/issues

.NET Core is not the only modern technology that moves quickly, if you glance on Node.JS, Angular, React, and others. To survive in such a time, tracking the updates actively is unavoidable.

Thursday, July 16, 2020 1:34 PM
  • User-461922155 posted

It certainly can be a bit of a moving target and although the Microsoft docs are pretty good and pretty up to date we all like to wander off and find other articles and yes it makes it harder to find a fully accurate one but not usually too difficult to fix the gaps and changes and follow along.

I quite like the 2 year LTS approach and upgrading isn't as horrible as it used to be switching between major framework upgrades in the past.

So, I'd say slightly annoying but nothing a nice cup of coffee doesn't fix :)

Thursday, July 16, 2020 8:30 PM