Any real time communication solutions for Enterprise Store App?

Question

• We create an app for an Enterprise network using Javascript, so far so good. But now we got an very critical requirement says that the app can receive notifications from a remote server at any time, no matter suppended or not.

I search the MSDN docs and find too possible solutions: ControlChannelTrigger and WNS.

WNS needs internet access which is impossible for a enterprise envrionment, and ControlChannelTrigger makes me a little confused too.

Based on my understanding, I can create a background-task and use that Trigger to do real-time communication using C# along with my Main app written using Javascript. Then I can deploy them as a whole part, am I right?

Return to the source, learn the way!

Monday, October 14, 2013 9:59 AM

Answers

• Hi FengChen,

Yes, you have it right. A ControlChannelTrigger is probably what you want here. Your Control Channel background task will require a C# component, but the foreground task can still be JavaScript and they will be deployed in the same package. While your foreground app is suspended a background task can keep a connection open to your server to receive notifications. This will allow you to implement your own push notification system.

Take a look at the Introduction to Background Tasks and Background Networking whitepapers. There are several samples demonstrating using a ControlChannelTrigger with various networking types.

As you say, WNS won't work in your environment. WNS requires that the app be published in the store, not just side-loaded.

--Rob

Monday, October 14, 2013 2:13 PM
    Owner

All replies

• Hi FengChen,

Yes, you have it right. A ControlChannelTrigger is probably what you want here. Your Control Channel background task will require a C# component, but the foreground task can still be JavaScript and they will be deployed in the same package. While your foreground app is suspended a background task can keep a connection open to your server to receive notifications. This will allow you to implement your own push notification system.

Take a look at the Introduction to Background Tasks and Background Networking whitepapers. There are several samples demonstrating using a ControlChannelTrigger with various networking types.

As you say, WNS won't work in your environment. WNS requires that the app be published in the store, not just side-loaded.

--Rob

Monday, October 14, 2013 2:13 PM
    Owner
  • Thanks for your detailed and timely answer. I'll try it out ASAP.

Return to the source, learn the way!

Monday, October 14, 2013 11:44 PM