none
Extract Files from Microsoft Word Document - Help..... RRS feed

• Question

•  My project is about to extract files from Microsoft Word Documents. For instance, I have a word document. In the document, there are several embedded files such as pdf, gif, or jpg. I want to separate the embedded files from the word document without opening it and resave the sepeated files  into a directory. My plan is going to  convert the word document into the word xml  file format at first. From identifying the xml embedded tag, I can extract the data from it. My question is that the extracted data is a encoded data. how could I decode them ? Anyone has any suggestions?  

Your help is highly appreciated. It is so important for me.
    • Changed type Chris Mullaney Thursday, November 13, 2008 11:08 PM original post contained a question
    • Changed type Chris Mullaney Thursday, November 13, 2008 11:09 PM original post contained a question
    Tuesday, November 11, 2008 2:50 PM

Answers

• Hopefully the link I provided took you to the information needed to answer your questions. I am going to close this out. If you need any additional help with this or any other Office Open Specification document please post again on this forum.

Steve Smegner

Application Development Consulting Group

• Marked as answer by Steve Smegner Friday, December 5, 2008 5:27 AM
    Friday, December 5, 2008 5:27 AM

All replies

• Greetings.
    I am a bit confused by your post. You are starting with a binary Word document, .DOC, correct? Inside the document are various embedded objects correct?

If you have not done already start here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc313118.aspx. You will want to start with the MS-DOC, MS-OLEPS and MS-OLEDS documents.

Next you need to determine if the objects are actually embedded or linked. Refer to MS-DOC. You will likely need to be familiar with Monikers as well. Moniker information as well as general OLE Linking/Embedding information can be found on MSDN online.

Steve Smegner

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 1:53 AM
  • Hopefully the link I provided took you to the information needed to answer your questions. I am going to close this out. If you need any additional help with this or any other Office Open Specification document please post again on this forum.

Steve Smegner

• Marked as answer by Steve Smegner Friday, December 5, 2008 5:27 AM
    Friday, December 5, 2008 5:27 AM