none
Certificate for Outlook macros in Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• I have recently moved from Windows XP to Windows 7 64 bit. I use several Outlook macros so I ran the SELFCERT.exe tool to create a personal certificate for signing my Outlook macros. However, the tool gives an error "An error occurred during certificate creation. Selfcert was unable to create your certificate.". This works on XP, so what is the problem under Windows 7? I ran the program as administrator.

Regards,

Frank

Monday, April 9, 2012 2:31 PM

Answers

• I believe (it was a few weeks ago) I used the technique described on this site, http://www.source-code.biz/snippets/vbasic/3.htm, to get around the SelfCert problem.

Regards,

Frank

• Marked as answer by OldGrouch Sunday, November 11, 2012 3:03 AM
    Sunday, September 30, 2012 7:34 PM

All replies

• Private certificate you cant move to resign on new system. Only to accept existing projects.

In W7 you can Install new MSOffice with SelfCert.exe and generate new Key to write projects.

I use it in W7 too, without any problem. (I do not test x64 version).

Oskar Shon, Office System MVP

Press if Helpful; Answer when a problem solved

Monday, April 9, 2012 8:28 PM
  • I am not trying to move the certificate from XP to Windows 7. I am trying to create a new certificate on Windows 7. That is where I see the problem.

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 1:46 PM
  • what is the full path to selfcert exe that you run on win7?
    Wednesday, April 11, 2012 1:51 PM
  • The path is:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\SELFCERT.EXE

Frank

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 2:12 PM
  • on 64 bit system/office i guess you have to use one from C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 2:40 PM
  • Hi OldGrouch,

Any update?

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Friday, April 13, 2012 5:17 AM
  • Hi Frank,

This error indicates SelfCert.exe is corrupted. A workaround is to delete current user profile and create a new one.

Digitally sign a macro project in Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Visio, or Word refer to, http://office.microsoft.com/client/helppreview14.aspx?AssetId=HA010354312&lcid=1033&NS=EXCEL&Version=14&tl=2&respos=0&CTT=1&queryid=847441be%2De6cb%2D4b89%2Daf22%2Df20f670c8ded#BM5

Hope this gets you started.

Forrest Guo | MSDN Community Support | Feedback to manager

Monday, April 16, 2012 3:38 PM
  • I don't see SELFCERT.EXE in that folder.

Frank

Frank

Friday, August 24, 2012 1:33 PM
  • I don't think deleting my user profile is a good answer. I have too may applications already installed. There has got to be a better way!

Regards,

Frank

Frank

Friday, August 24, 2012 1:43 PM
  • See today's comments.

Frank

Frank

Friday, August 24, 2012 1:44 PM
  • OK. You won't delete the user profile, does it work if you create new user account and log on with that?

thanks.

Friday, August 24, 2012 2:36 PM
  • Forrest,

Yes. I logged in under a different account and was able to create a certificate with SELFCERT.EXE. No problem.

Could there be a problem with my other account. (I used Windows Easy Transfer when I setup that account a while back.)

Thanks for the help,

Frank

Frank

Friday, August 24, 2012 2:56 PM
  • Yes, that could be the problem.  Please work this scenario in normal user account.

thanks.

Saturday, August 25, 2012 2:13 AM
  • Forrest,

How can I correct this problem with the current profile? Does SELFCERT.EXE write diagnostic information to an event log? Does it write any useful information that can be captured with the SysInternal's DebugView program? Can I get the source code?

It would seem there is a registry or file/folder problem, since SELFCERT.EXE works in a different profile.

Is there any utility that checks the basic structure of a Windows 7 user profile?

Regards

Frank

Tuesday, August 28, 2012 10:20 PM
  • Unfotunately no.  I don't see there're any clues to the logging. I'm afraid I could not help this question further. You may create professional support ticket to continue this query.

best regards,

Thursday, August 30, 2012 7:50 AM
  • SELFCERT is extra soft in Office options installation. Chceck did you added before?

Oskar Shon, Office System MVP

Press if Helpful; Answer when a problem solved

Saturday, September 1, 2012 9:15 AM
  • I believe (it was a few weeks ago) I used the technique described on this site, http://www.source-code.biz/snippets/vbasic/3.htm, to get around the SelfCert problem.

Regards,

Frank

• Marked as answer by OldGrouch Sunday, November 11, 2012 3:03 AM
    Sunday, September 30, 2012 7:34 PM