Does "Add New Reference" to a static library with Release Candidate VS2012 work for anybody?

Question

• I right click on a project, select References, and then click on "Add New Reference".  After I select my library, and click on Add, my library does not appear in the references list.   This used to work for me, and I was able to have a working two project solution.  Then I found that I could not add the library to another project.  Then I found that after deleting the reference, I could not add it back again.

I'm using

Microsoft Visual Studio Professional 2012 RC
    Version 11.0.50522.1 RCREL
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 RC   04167-004-0009005-02372

The library is static with Metro support. (I can't add references to a DLL either at the moment.)

I would interested in other people's experience with the Add Reference functionality.

Tuesday, July 3, 2012 7:54 PM

Answers

• The problem actually was that I was not checking the checkbox before clicking on OK.  So no reference was added.

• Marked as answer by Andrew7Webb Tuesday, July 10, 2012 12:56 AM
    Tuesday, July 10, 2012 12:56 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You can try another way to add the project solution as a reference.

Right click your project->Properties->Common Properties-> Framework and References

Then, add New reference

Best regards,
    Jesse

Jesse Jiang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Wednesday, July 4, 2012 6:33 AM
  • Both mechanisms below don't work for me at the moment: there is simply no result, no error message after I chose the library project.

1. I right click on a project, select References, and then click on "Add New Reference".
    2. Right click your project->Properties->Common Properties-> Framework and References

Both ways worked in the last month for sure.

I thought something went wrong with VS2012's installation, but I tried a repair on VS 2012 RC, and it did not fix the problem.

If I create a new solution, and a new BlankPage project App1, and a new library Lib1, I still cannot make lib a reference to App1.  So it is not specific to my existing library or project.  I'm going to try to "repair" windows 8.

Wednesday, July 4, 2012 1:49 PM
  • Currently I have a solution with a static lib project and a WinRT component  using it : dependencies and references have not helped, but adding the .lib in Linker input properties have done the job the old way ...

I noticed "Link Library Dependencies" in the Linker General prop panel but it doesn't seem to work, or I missed the exact meaning of it.

Wednesday, July 4, 2012 2:24 PM
  • The problem actually was that I was not checking the checkbox before clicking on OK.  So no reference was added.

• Marked as answer by Andrew7Webb Tuesday, July 10, 2012 12:56 AM
    Tuesday, July 10, 2012 12:56 AM