VS 2005: Remote Tools: Windows CE: How long can we capture performance data? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I'm working on performance analysis and improvement of Windows CE 6.0 based platform. I'm using Visual Studio 2005 with Platform builder for CE 6.0 as IDE and cross-compiler respectively. I have following concerns:

1. Performance monitor tool -

If I use the performance monitor tool provided in VS 2005 for windows CE 6.0, I'm able to run it continuously for hours, but at any time if I save the corresponding log by selecting 'Export Chart' at the end of session, I get latest 2 to 8 minutes of log as .tsv file only. More precisely, irrespective of the resolution value set in the performance monitor tool, I get a maximum of 4 KB of log. I've a requirement to capture at least 36 hours of log to check if performance degradation happens in the system overtime. Can you let me know how to do this?

2. Kernel Tracker: This runs in limited buffer mode or unlimited mode. In the case of unlimited mode, it is subject to the availability of memory on the host system. Kernel tracker either crashes or stops acquisition once memory on the host PC is exhausted. Am I right? If not, can I use it to capture at least 24 hours of log as .clg file?

Regards,

Neil

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 11:26 AM

Answers

• We can capture longer hours of data using Log view in Performance Monitor. The log captured can be viewed in Chart mode/Report mode etc in performance monitor. For example, the chart view will show the overall graph and if you export the chart, you will get the full details of the log.

Neil

• Marked as answer by Neil_AN Friday, August 20, 2010 10:24 AM
    Friday, August 20, 2010 10:23 AM