Server Error in 'XXX' Application. The resource cannot be found. Description: HTTP 404. The resource you are looking for (or one of its dependencies) could have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a very strange situation here. I have developed a WCF service and deployed it on a server with following platform details:

.Net Frameworks: 2.0, 3.0, 3.5, 4.0

IIS 6.0

I have build the WCF service on 32 bit machine with VS 2010. When I deploy it on the server it gives me below error message.

Server Error in '/XXXXXX' Application.

The resource cannot be found. 

Description: HTTP 404. The resource you are looking for (or one of its dependencies) could have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

I have checked the svc extensions in IIS, its present. 

Below is log details obtained by Fusion Log Viewer:

The operation failed.

Bind result: hr = 0x80070002. The system cannot find the file specified.

Assembly manager loaded from:  c:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727\mscorwks.dll

Running under executable  c:\windows\system32\inetsrv\w3wp.exe

--- A detailed error log follows.

=== Pre-bind state information ===

LOG: User = XXXX\IUSR_XXXXXX

LOG: DisplayName = XXX.XXXX.Services

(Partial)

LOG: Appbase = file:///C:/XXXXXX/XXXXXX/

LOG: Initial PrivatePath = C:\XXXXXXX\XXXXXXX\bin

LOG: Dynamic Base = c:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files\pcservices\cabaf733

LOG: Cache Base = c:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files\pcservices\cabaf733

LOG: AppName = d05bb87e

Calling assembly : App_Web_troubleshoot.aspx.cdcab7d2.f4leb2rr, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null.

===

LOG: This bind starts in default load context.

LOG: Using application configuration file: C:\XXXXXX\XXXXXX\web.config

LOG: Using host configuration file: \\?\c:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727\aspnet.config

LOG: Using machine configuration file from c:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727\config\machine.config.

LOG: Policy not being applied to reference at this time (private, custom, partial, or location-based assembly bind).

LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///c:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v2.0.50727/Temporary ASP.NET Files/pcservices/cabaf733/d05bb87e/XXX.XXXXXXX.Services.DLL.

LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///c:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v2.0.50727/Temporary ASP.NET Files/pcservices/cabaf733/d05bb87e/XXXX.XXXXXX.Services/XXXX.XXXXX.Services.DLL.

LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/XXXXXXXX/XXXXXX/bin/XXXX.XXXXXXX.Services.DLL.

LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/XXXXXXXX/XXXXXX/bin/XXXX.XXXXXXX.Services/XXXX.XXXXXXX.Services.DLL.

LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///c:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v2.0.50727/Temporary ASP.NET Files/pcservices/cabaf733/d05bb87e/XXXX.XXXXXXX.Services.EXE.

LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///c:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v2.0.50727/Temporary ASP.NET Files/pcservices/cabaf733/d05bb87e/XXXX.XXXXXXXX.Services/XXXX.XXXXXXXX.Services.EXE.

LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/XXXXXXXXX/XXXXXX/bin/XXXX.XXXXXXX.Services.EXE.

LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/XXXXXXXX/XXXXXX/bin/XXXX.XXXXXXX.Services/XXXX.XXXXXXX.Services.EXE.

LOG: All probing URLs attempted and failed.

Can somebody please help me with the above error. 

Thanks.

Best Regards, Sunil Sharma
    • Edited by Sunilsharma Wednesday, September 14, 2011 4:06 AM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 4:05 AM

Answers

• Hello,

I was creating a virtual directory within a site for hosting wcf service, And I believe there is some configuration setting which does not allowed the loading service type or its dependent. 

I could get rid of the issue by creating a new Site in IIS. It might be the work around only.

Thanks.

• Marked as answer by Sunilsharma Friday, September 16, 2011 5:51 AM
    Friday, September 16, 2011 5:51 AM

All replies

• Sunilsharma,

Do you have multiple host headers for the service?  If so, try to put this in the config and see if it fixes it:

<serviceHostingEnvironment multipleSiteBindingsEnabled="true" />

If that doesn't work, make sure you've selected the correct app pool in IIS.

Tom Overton
    • Edited by Tom_Overton Wednesday, September 14, 2011 4:30 AM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 4:28 AM
  • Hello Tom,

Thanks for replying, With above settings, It gives following error.  

"Unrecognized attribute 'multipleSiteBindingsEnabled'. Note that attribute names are case-sensitive."

As far as App Pool is concerned I am keeping both the Client and Service in Same App Pool.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 7:06 AM
  • I tried deploying a simple WCF service on the same server. And that also gave the same error

Server Error in '/XXXXXX' Application.

The resource cannot be found. 

Description: HTTP 404. The resource you are looking for (or one of its dependencies) could have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.3615; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.3618 

Does it have to do with IIS Configuration on that server?

Thanks.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 11:07 AM
  • You're getting this error because you aren't using .NET 4.0.  That attribute was only introduced in 4.0. 

Tom Overton
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 12:22 PM
  • Hello Tom,

I have to run the Service on .net 3.0 / 3.5 framework only.

Thanks

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 12:50 PM
  • I also re-registered the service model on that box using servicemodelreg.exe -r -x command.

However i am still facing the same issue. Another information is that the box on which I am deploying the wcf service is in Farm.

Thanks.

• Marked as answer by Sunilsharma Friday, September 16, 2011 5:47 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Sunilsharma Friday, September 16, 2011 5:47 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Sunilsharma Friday, September 16, 2011 5:51 AM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 1:56 PM
  • Hello,

I was creating a virtual directory within a site for hosting wcf service, And I believe there is some configuration setting which does not allowed the loading service type or its dependent. 

I could get rid of the issue by creating a new Site in IIS. It might be the work around only.

Thanks.

Friday, September 16, 2011 5:51 AM