none
Multi-touch and Multi-screen RRS feed

• Question

• I just saw the presentations of the PDC2008 (via the net since I couldn't make it to the PDC).
    It's nice to see that we can add multi-touch functionality to a native, unmanaged application, just handling WM_TOUCH, similar to WM_MOUSE events at this moment.

However, with more and more people using multiple screens attached to their PC (especially our development department, were multiple screens are handy for debugging), how are the multiple screens going to work in combination with multi-touch.
    I cannot drag my finger fluently from 1 screen to another without lifting my finger, so how is this going to work?
    Anyone an idea?

Patje
    Friday, October 31, 2008 3:49 PM

Answers

• Hi Patje.

From the OS perspective, while we are not prioritizing multi-touch capability across multiple monitors, there are some scenarios that should work just fine right now:
    1. One multi-touch monitor and one regular monitorconfigured together.
    2. Two multi-touch monitors (but not with simultaneous input)

Unfortunately, at this time you would need to use your mouse to drag from one monitor across to another. If you had two multi-touch monitors you could drag an object so that it straddles both monitors and then pick it up again on the other monitor. Unfortunately, there's just no way to bridge that physical space between the monitors in a fluid fashion at this time.

Thanks so much for the question. It's interesting to think about this.

Sincerely,

Eliot - MSFT

Thursday, November 6, 2008 1:41 AM

All replies

• Hi Patje.

From the OS perspective, while we are not prioritizing multi-touch capability across multiple monitors, there are some scenarios that should work just fine right now:
    1. One multi-touch monitor and one regular monitorconfigured together.
    2. Two multi-touch monitors (but not with simultaneous input)

Unfortunately, at this time you would need to use your mouse to drag from one monitor across to another. If you had two multi-touch monitors you could drag an object so that it straddles both monitors and then pick it up again on the other monitor. Unfortunately, there's just no way to bridge that physical space between the monitors in a fluid fashion at this time.

Thanks so much for the question. It's interesting to think about this.

Sincerely,

Eliot - MSFT

Thursday, November 6, 2008 1:41 AM
  • And in thinking this through a little further, we can also posit a new model: rather than dragging--as is necessary with a mouse or even a pen--you can "toss" an object from one screen to another, using momentum and inertia APIs to slow or stop a window or other object. You don't need contiguous contact between screens to get an object from one to another.

We're really looking at an occasion for rethinking how people interact with virtual objects. It will be a UI challenge, but I feel that the results will be extremely rewarding. We will be publishing a white paper about usability challenges in multi-touch applications sometime in the very near future. This will be up on the Windows Client Developer Center on MSDN, http://msdn.microsoft.com/windows.

Eliot - MSFT
    Friday, November 7, 2008 4:34 PM
  • How would Windows 8 handle this? Is there a timeframe for this and what could possibly be the workarounds?

Would really help if you could throw lights on this.

Thanks.

Krishnaa
    Wednesday, November 2, 2011 10:42 AM
  • The Windows Developer Preview should support multiple simultaneous touch monitors. It doesn't solve the issue of how you drag something like an icon from one monitor to another though - no "toss" mechanics so far. :) Since most multiple-monitor systems, with or without touch, still have mice attached, this hopefully shouldn't be too much of an inconvenience.

Friday, December 9, 2011 9:39 AM
  • Hello,

I have issues with scenario 1. Multi touch monitor with a regular monitor. The touch shows up on the wrong monitor.

I have tried:

• New Drivers
    • making the monitor the main monitor.

I have not had any luck. Is there a manner to associate the touch input with a monitor?

Thursday, January 26, 2012 12:02 PM
  • Yes - open Tablet PC Settings under Control Panel, and on the Display tab, click Setup. That should walk you through the process of associating a touchscreen with the correct monitor.
    Thursday, January 26, 2012 8:34 PM
  • Hi,

It was sort of clear from the answer but I would like to confirm.

In Windows 7 there seems to be an issue with simultaneously touching two monitors. 

Has this issue been resolved in Windows 8 ?

Is this a Windows issue or an application issue ?

Eli Mandel

Thursday, January 16, 2014 5:32 PM
  • Hi all,

Would like to revive this thread, somehow related to an issue I'm working on...

Is it possible to get all touch/press events from multiple touchscreens, if the user is still pressing all and don't release them?

If not, how could go round the Windows event and work directly with the touchscreens USB data?

Peter

Tuesday, January 6, 2015 2:56 PM