Migrating servers with mirroring RRS feed

• Question

• I am migrating our current live server from SQL Server 2005 32bits with Windows Server 2003 to a larger SQL Server 2005 64bit with Windows Server Enterprise 2008. There are six production databases that I need to migrate and I need to minize downtime. That's why I am researching doing it with database mirroring or log shipping. We have SQL safe installed in the current server for backups so log shipping could be done native or with Idera's software. I am not very familiar with either method and I would like to hear from users more familiars with these technologies which one would be best and anything that can help me set up this migration project.

Thanks,

Eduardo

Friday, January 14, 2011 1:01 PM

Answers

• Since you are not migrating the database engine from SQL Server 2005 to a higher version, database mirroring is your best bet as this results in very minimal downtime. You can configure synchronous database mirroring for this purpose. Log shipping can be used as well but you wouldn't want to configure your backup/restore frequency to one (1) second. In addition, though this does not have anything to do with database mirroring but IO, you need to make sure that the new hardware has a higher capacity than the old one and that the disk subsystem is configured correctly (file allocation unit size should be 64K whereas you don't need to worry about disk partition alignment on Windows Server 2008) 

Here's a link on how to configure database mirroring on SQL Server 2005 using SQL Server Management Studio

Edwin Sarmiento SQL Server MVP
    Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn
    • Marked as answer by Olivera58 Tuesday, January 18, 2011 12:20 PM
    Friday, January 14, 2011 9:40 PM

All replies

• Since you are not migrating the database engine from SQL Server 2005 to a higher version, database mirroring is your best bet as this results in very minimal downtime. You can configure synchronous database mirroring for this purpose. Log shipping can be used as well but you wouldn't want to configure your backup/restore frequency to one (1) second. In addition, though this does not have anything to do with database mirroring but IO, you need to make sure that the new hardware has a higher capacity than the old one and that the disk subsystem is configured correctly (file allocation unit size should be 64K whereas you don't need to worry about disk partition alignment on Windows Server 2008) 

Here's a link on how to configure database mirroring on SQL Server 2005 using SQL Server Management Studio

Edwin Sarmiento SQL Server MVP
    Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn
    • Marked as answer by Olivera58 Tuesday, January 18, 2011 12:20 PM
    Friday, January 14, 2011 9:40 PM
  • Thanks, Edwin, that was helpful.

Regards,

Eduardo Olivera

Eduardo
    Tuesday, January 18, 2011 12:22 PM