none
Sent Items folder not getting updated when an Email Message is modified in a Transport Agent RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am trying to modify an Email Message in Transport Agent under On Routed Message Event handler. The Email Message is getting modified and delivered properly, but it is not getting reflected in the sender's Sent Items folder.

I am using Exchange Server 2010 SP1.

Any quick help will be really appreciated!

Thanks.

Thursday, March 6, 2014 12:15 PM

Answers

• That's to be expected with a Transport Agent.

When you send a Message its submitted to the Exchange Store and a copy of the Message you sent is saved to the sent Items folder which is the end of the process for the copy of the message stored in your sent Items folder. The store will take the message that is submitted and then send it to Transport Pipeline. While the message is in the Transport Pipeline this is where you transport Agent will act on it. Any changes made here will only be reflected on the Messages that are received by the recipients of the Message. Transport Agents never connect to the Mail Store and modify messages, they only allow you to modify them during the Message Transfer process.

Cheers
    Glen

Friday, March 7, 2014 2:49 AM

All replies

• That's to be expected with a Transport Agent.

When you send a Message its submitted to the Exchange Store and a copy of the Message you sent is saved to the sent Items folder which is the end of the process for the copy of the message stored in your sent Items folder. The store will take the message that is submitted and then send it to Transport Pipeline. While the message is in the Transport Pipeline this is where you transport Agent will act on it. Any changes made here will only be reflected on the Messages that are received by the recipients of the Message. Transport Agents never connect to the Mail Store and modify messages, they only allow you to modify them during the Message Transfer process.

Cheers
    Glen

Friday, March 7, 2014 2:49 AM
  • Thanks a lot for your reply Glen!

So in this case do I have any alternate way to get it reflected in the Sent Items folder? Or can I delete a Sent Item and create a new one from Transport Agent?

Basically, my goal is to modify an email depending upon a key's presence in the email body which is decided by a Transport Rule. And then send it to recipient's inbox. Basic goal is achieved but I am stuck with this Sent Item problem. This is very critical for my solution.

Please let me know if I have any other alternate approach to get this done.

Thanks.

Friday, March 7, 2014 5:57 AM
  • >>So in this case do I have any alternate way to get it reflected in the Sent Items folder? Or can I delete a Sent Item and create a new one from Transport Agent?

To modify the SentItem you need to use a Mailbox API like EWS or MAPI to do the modification separate to what your doing in the Transport Agent. It's generally not a good idea for performance reasons to do this within a Transport Agent because the TA's are critical to the Mail Flow any problems can have detrimental effects to the delivery of all messages going through that Hub. So you might want to consider creating a separate Service to do the update to the Sent Items folder and then in the Transport Agent you just trigger the service with the appropriate data.  There is no real easy to achieve this.

Cheers
    Glen

Monday, March 10, 2014 3:47 AM
  • Thanks Glen!

I'll take the EWS way then as I am familiar with it.

Monday, March 10, 2014 9:45 AM