none
Where do I find the definition for the several kind of prstDash? RRS feed

• Question

• The presetShapeDefinitions and the presetTextWarpDefinitions are in c071691_ISO_IEC_29500-1_2016_Electronic_inserts. But I cannot find the definitions for prstDash. I do not mean the illustration in L.4.8.5.2 in ISO/IEC 29500-1:2016(E). But I'm looking for the exact definition equivalent as <custDash> element.
    Wednesday, August 7, 2019 10:34 AM

All replies

• Hello Regina,
    Thank you for this question. One of our engineers will investigate this and follow-up soon.

Regards,
    Sreekanth Nadendla
    Microsoft Windows Open Specifications

Wednesday, August 7, 2019 3:23 PM
  • Hi Regina, 

I'll look into this for you. 

Best regards,
    Tom Jebo
    Sr Escalation Engineer
    Microsoft Open Specifications

Wednesday, August 7, 2019 7:03 PM
  • I have found it in the meantime. It is section 20.1.10.49. And that is correctly linked from 20.1.8.48. Sorry, sometimes I'm blind.
    Sunday, August 11, 2019 8:00 PM
  • Thanks Regina, I think I misunderstood your question. I was thinking you were looking for the drawing ML equivalent to what we have in the electronic inserts. 

Sounds like you were just looking for the descriptions for the possible values for prstDash's val attribute. 

Thanks,

Tom

Monday, August 12, 2019 12:29 AM
  • I was indeed looking for the equivalent xml, because the illustration in chapter L has not the exact relationship to the line width. But 20.1.10.49 gives this relationship and so it is clear how to write an equivalent custDash.

I wonder about the actually written styles. Example: UI "Round Dot". Only if you apply round caps, the dots are circles. Actually written is "sysDot". Where is the rule about the relationship between caps and dashes? Or example UI "Square Dot". That is written as "sysDash" and it does indeed not look like "Dots". For a square "Dot" I expect 100% length not 300%.

Thursday, August 15, 2019 12:54 AM
  • Hi Regina, 

The caps style would be specified by the 20.1.10.31 ST_LineCap (End Line Cap) simple type while the type of dashed line (i.e. the logical sequence of dashes or dots) is defined in 20.1.10.49 as you found. For example, with PowerPoint, here is a round cap'ed "sysDash" style line: 

<p:spPr>
              <a:xfrm>
                <a:off x="2118946" y="2057400"/>
                <a:ext cx="5732585" cy="0"/>
              </a:xfrm>
              <a:prstGeom prst="line">
                <a:avLst/>
              </a:prstGeom>
              <a:ln w="57150" cap="rnd" cmpd="sng" algn="ctr">
                <a:solidFill>
                  <a:schemeClr val="dk1"/>
                </a:solidFill>
                <a:prstDash val="sysDash"/>
                <a:round/>
                <a:headEnd type="none" w="med" len="med"/>
                <a:tailEnd type="none" w="med" len="med"/>
              </a:ln>
            </p:spPr>

Is this what you're looking for? If not, can you clarify?

Tom

Thursday, August 15, 2019 6:36 PM
  • Hi Tom,

the description of the dash-dot pattern is clear in the standard. And how to write, that a line cap should be applied, is clear too. The problem is how the caps are applied.

PowerPoint applies it the way, that the total length of a dash is the same for all kind of caps. But that is not common use of line caps. For example SVG adds the caps so that a dash with line cap "round" applied is longer than the same dash with line cap "butt" (what corresponds to "flat" in OOXML). And e.g. CorelDraw adds the line caps to the dashes too.

Therefore I think, that it needs to be mentioned in OOXML, that the caps are not added, but used in a way, that the total length of the styled dash keeps the same. (Or do I again only do not find it in the standard?)  Best for that would be a picture similar to that in https://www.w3.org/TR/SVG2/painting.html#StrokeLinecapProperty, where it is explained for SVG.

Kind regards

Regina

Saturday, August 17, 2019 11:49 AM
  • Hi Tom,

I'm looking for the specification, how a cap is applied to a dash. PowerPoint applies it so, that it keeps the total length of the dash and rounds the corners. But other applications like CorelDraw or browsers with SVG apply it so, that the cap is added to the dash. So there is no common understanding how to apply a cap to a dash. Therefore I think, it should be specified for OOXML.

Tuesday, August 20, 2019 1:13 PM
  • Hi Regina, 

After discussion with the Office team, the consensus is that this is something that we would not describe in the standard or implementation notes. The rendering cap placement WRT the dash does not have direct implication for formatting or affect other layout or rendering considerations. The line will be the same length, width, etc... regardless. Therefore, we consider this as an implementation choice not required for interoperability.

If you feel otherwise, please let me know why you think so.

Thanks,

Tom

Wednesday, August 21, 2019 11:19 PM