none
New Key mapping- Handling Alpha keys and number keys RRS feed

• Question

• Hi ,

We are using wince 6.0. Our keypad layout is not supporting all the functions we need. Thus, we are thinking about replacing certain keys with ALT-N combinations.

For example, we want to just press ALT+0 to replace the Window Menu Key. Likewise, instead of the ABC key to turn the keypad from Numeric Keys to Alpha Keys, we want to use ALT+8. we also want to use it for navigation keys such as Up, Down, Left, Right. To do this, we would like another ALT sequence such as ALT+2.

Please find attached layout of keypad. How can we implement this under Windows 6.0? Is this all possible?  If so, how do we do this? We wnted to implement it in keypad driver. Is it possible to write any filter driver? or any mechanism Regards,

Wince User

Monday, September 12, 2011 11:03 AM

All replies

• Hi Team,

WHat is the standard method to do the mapping mentioned above. I need your suggestion.

Regards,

Wince User

Monday, September 19, 2011 8:13 AM
  • I can only offer a suggestion from one guy, not a standard method. It should be obvious that there's no standard method to map Alt+0 = Menu key!

I'd do this with a keyboard layout in the keyboard driver. You can read up on it and review the keyboard drivers to see the "standard" key layout tables. I don't recall "Search" being a Windows key, so I think you'll have to do something a bit different with that. My thought is to have Alt+7 be registered as a Hot Key by some program running on your device and have that program launch your Search function when that hot key is fired (RegisterHotKey).

As for the keyboard "mode change" keys, Alt+8 and Alt+2, and the Windows menu key, Alt+0, that should also, I think, happen in the keyboard driver, where Alt+0 could be mapped to VK_WINDOWS. For the direction and ABC keys, you'd set a mode when the mode key was pressed, and change which table was used to translate the other keys to final characters so that VK_RIGHT, or 'A', 'B', 'C', etc. would be returned.

Paul T.

Monday, September 26, 2011 6:48 PM
  • Hi Paul,

I am not able to fully undesrstand ,what you said. Whenever i handle a alt+number key combintion i am getting unexpected results like "it works based on application context"

Is it possible to map alt+number combination to alphabets?

Regards,

Wince User

Thursday, September 29, 2011 11:10 AM
  • Yes, in the keyboard driver/virtual key table. Can you do it with just a few minutes of time and a change to the registry, probably not.

If you're getting different results depending on the application context (am I reading your message correctly?), use Remote Spy to see what messages are getting sent to which windows in the application; I think that will tell you what's going wrong.

Paul T.

Thursday, November 3, 2011 6:46 PM