Sqlmembership login credentials not working RRS feed

• Question

• User-1767698477 posted

I spent hours on this! The credentials which I create and email over to my address don't work.

I have my registration page which creates the username and password and email and stuffs them into the membership table. Then I fill the remaining registration data into  a userprofiles page and update with the userid guid. The program sends out the email to the new user and after clicking the link in the email the account is activated in membership table by setting  isApproved=true. This should enable login access.  Then the moment of truth....I'm taken to the login page and the credentials don't work! . I'm using the correct credentials and they are not working. I'm supposed to be able to login and based on my userID the system looks at my ROLE and redirects my into the correct folder. It's not happening. What could the problem be ? I created numerous similar logins and used the same password on many of the accounts. Is that a problem?  I used newuser1001, newuser1002, newuser101, jdoe2, jdoe3, jdoe4, etc. ASP.net should be smart enough to make it all work. This is not happening.

I figured this out. It's in my login page.  I have to change my stored procedure to mimic the one in the tutorial! Hopefully this will be working shortly!

Wednesday, May 6, 2020 5:43 AM

Answers

• User1535942433 posted

Hi sking,

Accroding to your description and codes,as far as I think,Membership User. PasswordQuestion Property in your code is including of the security question.When users input an username and it will call  passwordquestion  and  then if it is a valid username,the button which reset password will enable.The user could reset the password.To the opposite ,the  reset button cann't enable.

And as far as resetting it, is better to send an email or just provide the new password right there on the webpage? 

As far as I think,I suggest you could use send an email that is helpful to forget password.

Also, to confirm, is it possible to change the password if they are Hashed format? (i.e. not encrypted) 

It's possible to change the password if they are Hashed format.

Best regards,

Yijing Sun

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, May 7, 2020 9:31 AM

All replies

• User1535942433 posted

Hi sking,

I'm very glad that you have solved your issue.

If you still meet problems with the same topic, you can post it here and people here will be happy to solve the problem.

Best regards,

Yijing Sun

Thursday, May 7, 2020 3:21 AM
  • User-1767698477 posted

Hi Yij sun,

I'm stuck at the moment. I am having problems with login credentials in the tutorial site. I have posted here regarding password resetting.

https://forums.asp.net/t/2166694.aspx?Password+reset+for+membership+provider

I need to get this fixed before I continue to work on my main site. I have to understand how to reset pw with security question.

Thursday, May 7, 2020 6:14 AM
  • User1535942433 posted

Hi sking,

Accroding to your description and codes,as far as I think,Membership User. PasswordQuestion Property in your code is including of the security question.When users input an username and it will call  passwordquestion  and  then if it is a valid username,the button which reset password will enable.The user could reset the password.To the opposite ,the  reset button cann't enable.

And as far as resetting it, is better to send an email or just provide the new password right there on the webpage? 

As far as I think,I suggest you could use send an email that is helpful to forget password.

Also, to confirm, is it possible to change the password if they are Hashed format? (i.e. not encrypted) 

It's possible to change the password if they are Hashed format.

Best regards,

Yijing Sun

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, May 7, 2020 9:31 AM