none
prevent email hyperlink from opening outlook RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a way to prevent an email address on a form from opening up Outlook? I do not want emails to be sent through outlook, but instead from a custom smtp.   However, when I click the hyperlink it opens my email form, but also is opening up outlook.   I would like the hyperlink to work without having to change it to a text field with a button that needs to be clicked to send an email?

Wednesday, June 15, 2016 4:50 PM

Answers

• Exactly what I have resorted to.   I have just faked it to look like its a true hyperlink :-)

• Marked as answer by lkg40 Monday, June 27, 2016 10:32 PM
    Monday, June 27, 2016 10:32 PM

All replies

• Hi. You might have to adjust a setting in your Registry. Just thinking out loud...
    Wednesday, June 15, 2016 5:05 PM
  • >>>Is there a way to prevent an email address on a form from opening up Outlook?

According to your descrition, you could set The Default Email Client.

You will have to access the “Default Programs” feature of Windows to the change Default email client and open mailto links with it.

Control Panel->Programs->Default Programs->Associate a file type or protocol with a program->MailTo

In addition if you have any feedback for Access, please feel free to submit them to User Voice:

https://access.uservoice.com/

Thanks for your understanding.

• Proposed as answer by David_JunFeng Sunday, June 26, 2016 2:56 PM
    Thursday, June 16, 2016 6:48 AM
  • Thank you for the suggestions.  Sorry for the delay in answering - car wreck had me down.

This would work great if it was just my system; but am developing a db that will be on computers that I don't have control over.  Therefore was looking to see if there was someway to programmatically accomplish this without necessarily changing those setting on a users machine; as it might not make them very happy. 

Just wanted it so that Access did not open Outlook. 

Thank you for the replies though.

Monday, June 27, 2016 3:37 AM
  • Hi. Unfortunately, each machine can be set up to handle a specific protocol in various ways. If you cannot control how these machines will be set up to handle a hyperlink, then you must avoid using a hyperlink if you want a specific action to happen when the user clicks on a hyperlink. In other words, the only way I can see you can accomplish what you want without relying on external controls is to convert your hyperlinks into plain text and then use code to perform the action to send the email through SMTP. Just my 2 cents...
    Monday, June 27, 2016 2:46 PM
  • Exactly what I have resorted to.   I have just faked it to look like its a true hyperlink :-)

• Marked as answer by lkg40 Monday, June 27, 2016 10:32 PM
    Monday, June 27, 2016 10:32 PM
  • Hi. Congratulations! Glad to hear you got it sorted out. Good luck with your project.
    Tuesday, June 28, 2016 3:32 PM