Rename a Azure Batch App RRS feed

• Question

• Hey all,

Is there a way to rename a Azure Batch Apps based application? I can update the image and cloud assembly but I can't rename the app. I unfortunately put spaces in the name and that creates some special path quoting challenges since the name gets converted into a file system directory name as part of processing.

------ Ed

Friday, December 5, 2014 7:13 PM

Answers

• Hi Ed,

Sorry to hear you've been having a few difficulties with this.

The Application Name is used to uniquely identify an Application within a Batch Apps service which is why you're seeing that upload error. This is actually been returned from our backend (the upload gets forward to your service namespaced by the Application Name and then finds that the App Name doesn't actually match). The easiest solution is to just add your amended Cloud Assembly as a new Application rather than editing the existing.

We have some improvements coming to the Application management UX but for now I recommend adding it as new one.

Hope that helps but let us know if you're still having issues.

Regards
    Dave

• Marked as answer by DigitalEdSC Monday, December 8, 2014 1:43 PM
    Friday, December 5, 2014 9:53 PM

All replies

• Just to add more detail:

Once I got around all the quoting issues (I have to double quote in code), the path now turns out to be too long. It exceeds the 250 or so chars allowed by cmd.exe.

I tried to change the app name in my ApplicationDefinition but when uploading it, I get the error:

The cloud assembly failed to upload.

•Application name in assembly did not match application name in URL

Not sure where the "application name in URL" is located.

----- Ed

Friday, December 5, 2014 7:43 PM
  • Hi Ed,

Sorry to hear you've been having a few difficulties with this.

The Application Name is used to uniquely identify an Application within a Batch Apps service which is why you're seeing that upload error. This is actually been returned from our backend (the upload gets forward to your service namespaced by the Application Name and then finds that the App Name doesn't actually match). The easiest solution is to just add your amended Cloud Assembly as a new Application rather than editing the existing.

We have some improvements coming to the Application management UX but for now I recommend adding it as new one.

Hope that helps but let us know if you're still having issues.

Regards
    Dave

• Marked as answer by DigitalEdSC Monday, December 8, 2014 1:43 PM
    Friday, December 5, 2014 9:53 PM
  • One more thing Ed, you're now going to have two Applications specifying the same JobType. This may cause problems either when add the new (corrected) Application/Cloud Assembly, or when running a job.

You may find you need to update the original Cloud Assembly with the JobType changed to something else that you don't want to use (of course the Application Name will need to have the space put back in so you can do the update). Then you should be able to add the new Cloud Assembly with the Application Name fixed and the JobType you want to use.

Sorry - I know this is a bit of a pain - we are looking at it! :)

Dave

Friday, December 5, 2014 10:03 PM
  • Dave,

I did find that I did have two jobs of the same type. Fortunately, the system ignores one (with a warning) and in my case it happened to ignore the right one.

I just recreated the job with a new job type.

----- Ed

Monday, December 8, 2014 1:43 PM