The following forum(s) have migrated to Microsoft Q&A (Preview): Azure Service Fabric!
Visit Microsoft Q&A (Preview) to post new questions.

Learn More

Incorrect EULA for Service Fabric RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

My company is in the process of standing up a Service Fabric solution that will be used by our customers, but the EULA (4d) states that this is not allowed. I'm assuming the current EULA's 4d is incorrect? We will not be able to get this through our legal department with the current wording. Can someone please confirm whether this is wrong, and if so, when we can expect an updated EULA 4d please?

4. SCOPE OF LICENSE. The software is licensed, not sold. Microsoft reserves all other rights. Unless 
    applicable law gives you more rights despite this limitation, you will not (and have no right to):
    d) use the software for commercial, non-profit, or revenue-generating activities;

Thanks,
    Hans

Monday, December 19, 2016 11:50 PM

Answers

• You are not allowed to sell the Service Fabric software for commercial, non-profit or revenue-generating activities, but it is OK to install your applications in Service Fabric, and you use the application for commercial, non-profit or revenue-generating activities.

This is my interpretation, otherwise, the clause makes no sense.

Frank

• Edited by TChiang Tuesday, December 20, 2016 3:20 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Sjoukje ZaalMVP Thursday, January 19, 2017 3:34 PM
    • Marked as answer by Sjoukje ZaalMVP Thursday, February 23, 2017 1:58 PM
    Tuesday, December 20, 2016 3:20 PM

All replies

• You are not allowed to sell the Service Fabric software for commercial, non-profit or revenue-generating activities, but it is OK to install your applications in Service Fabric, and you use the application for commercial, non-profit or revenue-generating activities.

This is my interpretation, otherwise, the clause makes no sense.

Frank

• Edited by TChiang Tuesday, December 20, 2016 3:20 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Sjoukje ZaalMVP Thursday, January 19, 2017 3:34 PM
    • Marked as answer by Sjoukje ZaalMVP Thursday, February 23, 2017 1:58 PM
    Tuesday, December 20, 2016 3:20 PM
  • Thanks, I agree, Frank. But from a legal perspective, this needs to be crystal clear in the EULA. Can anyone from Microsoft please comment? We are up against a deadline and this is likely to become a showstopper for us.
    Wednesday, December 21, 2016 7:18 PM