none
Windows Operative System Architecture RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,       

i'm not sure  about if this is the right place to post my qtion.   

i'm now starting (really starting) in kernel mode development, but actually my knowledge about the operative system internal functionality are very little.

Fine, i want to learn how windows works in the deep system internals...   the basics at least  .

Where  i can find related and good quality documentation about the internal windows operative system architecture? ( you know, kernel, user mode, subsystems etc )       

thanks for your help!       

;)

Juan Carlos Ruiz Pacheco

Ingeniero de Sistemas

Bogotá - Colombia

Monday, July 31, 2006 3:38 AM

Answers

• Start from these books http://www.solsem.com/books.html

that from Windows SDK and look for the ntdll.dll manual, where a lot of system functions described

Monday, July 31, 2006 7:16 PM
  • I recomend to buy "Windows Internals, 4th edition" right now and start working.

Vista will be ready in the end of the fall, add half year till the bool will be ready and u got the about data is summer 2007 :)

Do u really want to wait? and take into account that companies won't start moving to vista just after it release - it takes a lot of time.

I know production systems that are still under Win2k

BTW, you need the concept, not the latest breaking changes. These books and ntdll manuals give it to u.

Thursday, August 3, 2006 5:31 AM

All replies

• Start from these books http://www.solsem.com/books.html

that from Windows SDK and look for the ntdll.dll manual, where a lot of system functions described

Monday, July 31, 2006 7:16 PM
  • ok,
    what you suggest to me?

1- buy the book
    2- wait for Windows Vista and buy a book ... may be :
    Windows  Vista Internals

Thursday, August 3, 2006 3:32 AM
  • I recomend to buy "Windows Internals, 4th edition" right now and start working.

Vista will be ready in the end of the fall, add half year till the bool will be ready and u got the about data is summer 2007 :)

Do u really want to wait? and take into account that companies won't start moving to vista just after it release - it takes a lot of time.

I know production systems that are still under Win2k

BTW, you need the concept, not the latest breaking changes. These books and ntdll manuals give it to u.

Thursday, August 3, 2006 5:31 AM
  • I have Programming Windows - Charles Petzold and Windows System Programming - Addison Wesley.

Do you know them? Are they fine?
    Sunday, August 20, 2006 5:12 PM