Opening PDFs from Document Libraries RRS feed

• Question

• I have spent a couple of hours reading blogs and questions in these forums, and there seems to be a remarkable lack of knowledge or information on this subject.

SharePoint does not seem to have an intuitive means of allowing users to open .PDF files from within a Document Library. I know that one can sort out the problem of being prompted to save, rather than opening, but I cannot find a way around the other common problem.

This is the issue of being prompted to open a PDF as Read-only or Edit. it would be nice if one could have it open in the browser immediately without annoying the users with the extra click.

For me, the behaviour is the same for the setting in Central Administration ("Browser file handling") being "Strict" or "Permissive" [Question: if one changes this, is there a need to restart IIS or anything?]

If one creates a Link (in a Links List), and then clicks, the PDF is opened directly in the browser. But in a Document Library, this does not work.

If anyone can help me avoid the extra click for users (even if it is their browser settings - I know that this issue has been around since MOSS 2007), I would be very grateful.

It would be interesting to play around in SharePoint designer with the Views for Document Libraries (like opening links ina separate Tab or Window), but that is another topic.

Monday, January 2, 2012 7:46 PM

Answers

• Opening the PDF in the browser, you need to either use Permissive (not recommended) or specifically add the file type to allow inline downloads (see http://sharepoint.nauplius.net/2011/06/browser-file-handling-and-avoiding.html).  However, opening directly in the browser also requires an ActiveX control for Internet Explorer supplied by Adobe Acrobat or FoxIt Reader, or Chrome/Firefox have native PDF handling abilities.
    http://sharepoint.nauplius.net
    • Marked as answer by Seven M Friday, January 13, 2012 6:42 AM
    Monday, January 2, 2012 8:33 PM