none
How to disable/hide File tabpage or disable all button in file table at word 2007/2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'd like to hide/disable File tabpage in word 2007/2010, I created RibbonXML as following show:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <customUI xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2006/01/customui" onLoad="Ribbon_Load">
      <backstage >
        <tab idMso="tabFile" visible ="false "></tab>
      </backstage>
    </customUI>

but it doesn't work, anybody can help me?

Thanks in advance.

• Edited by after_base Wednesday, December 19, 2012 7:44 AM
    Wednesday, December 19, 2012 3:13 AM

Answers

• Hi after_base

In addition to Fermin's information:

The Backstage is not supported in the Ribbon UI for Office 2007 - it was introduced in Office 2010. So any Ribbon XML you create to affect the Backstage cannot be used in Office 2007.

Office 2007 as the "Pizza button"; this cannot be removed, although many of the commands can be disabled or repurposed - but not all.

The reason behind this decision was that the Office application is licensed to and belongs to the user. No application should be able to completely take it over; certain key functionality should always be available.

In addition, Microsoft doesn't want developers to be able to use the Office application within their own applications, making it look like the Office application is part of their application. Office is not licensed to developers, only to end-users. So essentially, the only use a developer should make of Office is to extend it.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

• Marked as answer by after_base Thursday, December 20, 2012 1:58 AM
    Wednesday, December 19, 2012 7:33 PM

All replies

• Hi After_base,

As far as I know, you can not hide the Office button(2007)/File Tab(2010, which also being called backstage).

To customize backstage, you can take a look at 

HTH.

Regards,
    Fermin
    What's life without whimsy?

Wednesday, December 19, 2012 12:19 PM
  • Hi after_base

In addition to Fermin's information:

The Backstage is not supported in the Ribbon UI for Office 2007 - it was introduced in Office 2010. So any Ribbon XML you create to affect the Backstage cannot be used in Office 2007.

Office 2007 as the "Pizza button"; this cannot be removed, although many of the commands can be disabled or repurposed - but not all.

The reason behind this decision was that the Office application is licensed to and belongs to the user. No application should be able to completely take it over; certain key functionality should always be available.

In addition, Microsoft doesn't want developers to be able to use the Office application within their own applications, making it look like the Office application is part of their application. Office is not licensed to developers, only to end-users. So essentially, the only use a developer should make of Office is to extend it.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

• Marked as answer by after_base Thursday, December 20, 2012 1:58 AM
    Wednesday, December 19, 2012 7:33 PM