sql 2005 mirroring RRS feed

• Question

• I had two sql servers mirrored successfully.  on my principal server i had to break the mirror becasue i needed to do a restore from backup.  i am not trying to re-establish mirroring but and getting error messages of this type:

can anyone help??

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: MSSQLSERVER
    Event Category: (2)
    Event ID: 18204
    Date:  2/18/2011
    Time:  11:57:11 AM
    User:  ERDS\mossadmin
    Computer: ERDSHQCLU01
    Description:
    BackupDiskFile::CreateMedia: Backup device 'D:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Backup\<c:\SharedServices1_DB_log.bak>' failed to create. Operating system error 123(The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.).

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
    Data:
    0000: 1c 47 00 00 10 00 00 00   .G......
    0008: 0c 00 00 00 45 00 52 00   ....E.R.
    0010: 44 00 53 00 48 00 51 00   D.S.H.Q.
    0018: 43 00 4c 00 55 00 30 00   C.L.U.0.
    0020: 31 00 00 00 00 00 00 00   1.......

Friday, February 18, 2011 10:36 PM

Answers

• >>Backup device 'D:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1>>\MSSQL\Backup\<c:\SharedServices1_DB_log.bak>' failed to create. Operating system error >>>123(The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.).

Something wrong with "The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax "

Can you show us how you  re-establish the mirroring ?

Best Regards, Uri Dimant SQL Server MVP http://dimantdatabasesolutions.blogspot.com/ http://sqlblog.com/blogs/uri_dimant/
    Sunday, February 20, 2011 6:52 AM
  • Your login either does not have permission to the file location, the file path is does not exist of is invalid. From your post in the snippet
    Backup device 'D:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Backup\<c:\SharedServices1_DB_log.bak>' failed to create
    suggests to me you are using invalid characters in you file path in particular the char "<:" and ">"

Regards,
    Mark Broadbent.

Contact me through (twitter|blog)

Please click "Propose As Answer" if a post solves your problem
    or "Vote As Helpful" if a post has been useful to you
    Monday, February 21, 2011 8:04 AM

All replies

• The SQL-User through which u r configuring the mirroring, do not have permission to Write a file on the Path mentioned on the drive.

--------------------------------- Devender Bijania
    Saturday, February 19, 2011 6:07 AM
  • connect mirror server and stop mirroring first.

Alter database dbname set partner off

Now you restore your backup file in principal server.

Then reconfigure mirroring again work.

Saturday, February 19, 2011 11:48 AM
  • >>Backup device 'D:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1>>\MSSQL\Backup\<c:\SharedServices1_DB_log.bak>' failed to create. Operating system error >>>123(The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.).

Something wrong with "The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax "

Can you show us how you  re-establish the mirroring ?

Best Regards, Uri Dimant SQL Server MVP http://dimantdatabasesolutions.blogspot.com/ http://sqlblog.com/blogs/uri_dimant/
    Sunday, February 20, 2011 6:52 AM
  • Your login either does not have permission to the file location, the file path is does not exist of is invalid. From your post in the snippet
    Backup device 'D:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Backup\<c:\SharedServices1_DB_log.bak>' failed to create
    suggests to me you are using invalid characters in you file path in particular the char "<:" and ">"

Regards,
    Mark Broadbent.

Monday, February 21, 2011 8:04 AM
  • Mark,

Uri asked u provide the details abt how you are Re-establishing database mirroring ? the query that you ran is the initial error please refer your first post .

-----------------
    Thanks,Suhas V

Monday, February 21, 2011 8:54 AM
  • Suhas, did you not even read my reply?!

I did not post a problem, my reply is  a proposed solution !

You say...
    "please refer your first post"
    ..yet the first post (i.e. the Question ) was raised by galacticabsg75 .If this is not clear to you, please re-read the whole thread from top to bottom. Thanks.

Regards,
    Mark Broadbent.

Monday, February 21, 2011 10:25 AM
  • Did you stop the mirroring before restoring principal database?

Connect to mirror server and stop mirroring (alter database <dbname> set partner off)

next connect to principal db server then restore db with your backfile(before restore please make sure you have access permissions on the backup file location)

Tuesday, February 22, 2011 2:49 PM
  • MARK,

I am sorry for that ... But it was bit strong reply .. Mistakes  haapen :(
    ---------------------
    Thanks,Suhas V

Tuesday, February 22, 2011 3:04 PM