none
Error : DEP6200 : Bootstrapping

Question

• I was working on my project correctly when suddenly I get this error:

Error Error: DEP6701 : Error de arranque inesperado: "Wrong format: Separator '|' is missing.".

I can not run my application because it gives me this error in Visual Studio.

Anyone know anything about this error in Windows IoT 10586 regarding a Raspberry?

Tuesday, December 8, 2015 12:57 AM

Answers

• Check very carefully all your power supplies. This is an known error caused by the hardware and USB supplies failing to deliver what is on the label.

riclh

Monday, January 4, 2016 4:11 PM
  • Hi

I understand the desire to repro with the wrong circuit :) but I really don't want to try. All I can say is that since I corrected it and used another card the problem didn't happen again. And it was the only time it happened as well, must have deployed 100 times previously with OK circuits and the original SD.

So yes, over-draw while deploying seems to have been the issue as the best bet.

Thanks
    Roland

Wednesday, January 6, 2016 5:40 PM
  • I was having same issue yesterday. I have searched a lot but nothing works.

The only solution I found is to re-flash the Windows IoT on the SD Card.

Also for me this was the only solution for that problem. Why is it not possible to propose as solution?

In may case, the power supply is OK (tested & verified) and I got this error after a blue screen and reboot caused by a bug in my code (double-open of the same pin -> blue screen ?!?).

Ant it got worse, because my app was the default one, causing and "infinite" loop of blue-screen and reboot. But while loading my app, I manage to use the App manager page and change the default app back to IotCoreDefault before the blue screen, but after that even after a reboot I got this error when trying to deploy the fixed app.

Friday, January 29, 2016 4:25 PM

All replies

• I'm having the same issue! It was working just fine and then all of a sudden I'm getting this error. I've been scouring the internet trying to find a solution and nothing I've tried has worked so far. Please help ... anyone! Thanks!
    Friday, December 11, 2015 10:37 PM

• Edited by Anurag S. Vasanwala Sunday, December 13, 2015 1:35 PM Footnote removed
    • Proposed as answer by biujee Monday, January 4, 2016 5:42 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by IoTGirlModerator Wednesday, January 6, 2016 5:53 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Roland Nitsch Thursday, January 7, 2016 6:15 AM
    Sunday, December 13, 2015 1:33 PM
  • Hello,

I have now the same Problem. is there any other solution?

Thanks!

Monday, January 4, 2016 4:09 PM
  • Check very carefully all your power supplies. This is an known error caused by the hardware and USB supplies failing to deliver what is on the label.

riclh

Monday, January 4, 2016 4:11 PM
  • today every Thing was fine, but suddenly I have got the error even when nothing is connected to the RPi and I cannot deploy anymore.

Error : DEP6701 : Bootstrapping failed with unexpected error: 'Wrong format: Separator '|' is missing.'.

Monday, January 4, 2016 4:35 PM
  • You can kill the card with a lower power spike at any time. You may not even see the CPU stutter and it may even then continue. At the edges everything becomes uncertain. The Linux guys have the same problems with the same solutions so this is not MS. Their response is the same. Check your voltages. Do not accept what the labels say. That's marketing not engineering in some cases.

riclh

• Edited by riclh Monday, January 4, 2016 5:59 PM
    Monday, January 4, 2016 5:58 PM
  • To the folks getting "Error: DEP6701 : "Wrong format: Separator '|' is missing."."  Can you please provide the details of your power supply set up?  Do you have a stronger power supply you can try to confirm the issue?
    Monday, January 4, 2016 6:30 PM
  • Hi

I have got a 2A power supply. Building a project following "bright or not" with the MCP3008 https://www.hackster.io/windows-iot/bright-or-not-cc55d7?offset=2&ref=search&ref_id=bright+or+not+2

Not using the potemtiometers. My projec did build and deploy with some NULL exception - then noticed that in my code I didn't call mcp3008.Initialize();

Added it and always got the error.

Disconnected power from chip - same error.

removed initialize - same prob, rebooted, restarted Rasp... nothing helps.

Monday, January 4, 2016 9:23 PM
  • changed the powersupply to the one of my other Raspberry - same issue.

Monday, January 4, 2016 9:31 PM
  • IoTGirl - is there anything you need from the SD card? I can send it internally, otherwise I'll flush it (trying a different SD card for now).

Roland

Tuesday, January 5, 2016 8:12 AM
  • Hi Roland,

Can you please provide the details on the power supply and board that work vs the power supply and board that do not?  Also is the failing SD Card a slower model or different size than the one that does work?  Are there any unique characteristics between the two set up configurations?

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

• Proposed as answer by riclh Tuesday, January 5, 2016 6:45 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by IoTGirlModerator Wednesday, January 6, 2016 5:54 PM
    Tuesday, January 5, 2016 5:48 PM
  • Hi

The SD worked for several weeks with the power supply. I haven't tried to reinstall Windows on it again and used another card instead. I am using the same power supply as before.

I suspect that a mistake in the wiring caused a short circuit causing higher consumption resulting in the problem when deploying the project.

The power supplies are just no-name 2A mico USB supplies as you would use for your mobile. I don't have the equipment to test if they really supply up to 2A.

The SD that got into trouble was a SanDisk Ultra 8GByte SD HC I.

The working one that I have no evidence for that it wouldn't have had the problem during the short circuit is a Samsung 32GByte UHS-1.

I am using 2 Raspberry Pi 2s.

HTH
    Roland

• Edited by Roland Nitsch Wednesday, January 6, 2016 7:32 AM editing changes
    • Proposed as answer by riclh Wednesday, January 6, 2016 9:10 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by IoTGirlModerator Wednesday, January 6, 2016 5:54 PM
    Wednesday, January 6, 2016 7:30 AM
  • Hi Roland,

So I assume you have disassembled the suspect circuit and retried with the other SD Card and it is now working?  Based on Riclh reply, seems like there is a chronic problem with over-draw on these boards no matter what the OS but it would be nice to confirm that overdraw was indeed the problem that caused this issue.

Sincere thanks,

IoTGirl

Wednesday, January 6, 2016 5:25 PM
  • Hi

I understand the desire to repro with the wrong circuit :) but I really don't want to try. All I can say is that since I corrected it and used another card the problem didn't happen again. And it was the only time it happened as well, must have deployed 100 times previously with OK circuits and the original SD.

So yes, over-draw while deploying seems to have been the issue as the best bet.

Thanks
    Roland

Wednesday, January 6, 2016 5:40 PM
  • Hi Roland,

Completely understand not wanting to attempt to re-fry a board or chip or anything! I have marked Riclh's original power supply answer as well as your last answer as the solution but you should mark whatever you feel is the most helpful answer for others to reference when/if they hit the same or similar issues.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Wednesday, January 6, 2016 5:57 PM
  • Hi,

the power supply cant be the issue. I had the same problems. After an new an clean install of iot the problem was gone. (using same sd and powersupply) But just for about one Week. Now i am having same problem again.  While trying to deploy the new software I saw the sd writer lamp blinking very fast and then the Error came up. serveral new boots, disconnecting the card, powersupply didn't help. But the software allready installed (blinky) still works like a charm.

So my question is: What does "Wrong format: Separator '|' is missing." really mean? Where does this message come from. Which Separator is meant.

Greeting from Germany

Mathias

Saturday, January 9, 2016 6:36 PM
  • "the power supply cant be the issue. I had the same problems."

Well what other differences makes what work most place apparently not work with your setup?

The separator is a symptom, not a cause, in all probability.

riclh

Saturday, January 9, 2016 7:20 PM
  • I'm seeing this too. I'm not sure how this discussion turned into an issue with the power supply or the SD Card (SD Card is fine - Windows Update for instance ran flawlessly on it). So is power supply.

Naturally another SD card works, because it's the same as re-flashing, but that doesn't mean its an SD card issue.

/Morten
    twitter: http://www.twitter.com/dotMorten
    blog: http://www.sharpgis.net

Wednesday, January 13, 2016 4:05 PM
  • because we suspect that if you write (deploy) to the SD card while the power isn't sufficient to support the write (or power fluctuates) the SD card can't be deployed to any more. That doesn't mean the SD card is broken, just what is on it. And yes, re-flashing it with the OS always seems to help.

Roland

Wednesday, January 13, 2016 4:11 PM
  • When I get this issue, reflashing always seems to resolve the problem. It makes me wonder if there isn't a problem in the OS with deploying apps several times on that same install.
    Friday, January 22, 2016 12:49 AM

Also for me this was the only solution for that problem. Why is it not possible to propose as solution?

In may case, the power supply is OK (tested & verified) and I got this error after a blue screen and reboot caused by a bug in my code (double-open of the same pin -> blue screen ?!?).

Ant it got worse, because my app was the default one, causing and "infinite" loop of blue-screen and reboot. But while loading my app, I manage to use the App manager page and change the default app back to IotCoreDefault before the blue screen, but after that even after a reboot I got this error when trying to deploy the fixed app.

Friday, January 29, 2016 4:25 PM
  • Hi Corrado,

There are three answers here actually:

1. Bad circuit / bad application

2. Too low power from the power supply

3. Corrupt SD card

All three should be investigated as options.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Friday, January 29, 2016 6:27 PM
  • I updated VS Community 2015 with update 3 and starts work fine again
    Sunday, August 14, 2016 10:04 AM