Azure File Storage Standard Performance between 5TB- 50TB RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Team,

I would like to the performance of Azure File Storage standard if we are using below 50TB. However, the IOPS is shown as upto 10000. what could be for 50TB. Can I extend my on-premise AD to authenticate my users in terms of files and folder level access as per their role in organization. We are checking out other feasible options like  Azure File Sync. Can Azure File Sync help us utilize 50TB of storage capacity.

Monday, November 18, 2019 7:54 AM

Answers

• Your domain-joined Windows virtual machines (VMs) can access Azure file shares by using Azure Active Directory (Azure AD) credentials.

• Azure AD DS authentication for Server Message Block (SMB) access is not supported for Linux VMs. Only Windows VMs are supported.
    • Azure AD DS authentication for SMB access is not supported for Active Directory domain-joined machines. In the interim, consider using Azure File Sync to start migrating your data to Azure Files and to continue enforcing access control by using Active Directory credentials from your on-premises Active Directory domain-joined machines.

For an overview of Azure AD authentication over SMB for Azure Files, see Overview of Azure Active Directory authentication over SMB for Azure Files.

There are two performance tiers for Files, standard and premium.

Large file shares are GA on both standard and premium. For premium, all shares can go up to 100TB. But for standard, you must enable large file shares. Enabling large file shares enhances performance for standard with no increase in price.

Standard files without the large file share feature enabled is 1000 IOPS and 60MB/s per share.

Standard with large file share enabled will give double digit latency (typically high teens but can get higher). 10,000 IOPS & 300MB/s. These limits for standard are the same regardless of how large the file share is. You pay per transactions as well as per stored GB.

Premium will give consistent low latency (~3ms), and IOPS and bandwidth according to the provisioned share size. For a 30TiB share, you would get 30,720 IOPS (30 * 1024) and be able to burst up to 92,160 IOPS (3x baseline). Throughput would be 1903MB/s read and 1268MB/s write. You pay for provisioned storage and transactions are included.

Throughput is calculated differently for a standard file share than a premium file share. That's why the premium-specific rows refer to the standard-specific row in the standard file share column, and vice-versa. Premium file shares break it out by ingress/egress whereas standard use an all up-throughput target. This information is in the table.

Hope this helps! 

Kindly let us know if the above helps or you need further assistance on this issue.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do click on "Mark as Answer" and Upvote on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members.

Monday, November 18, 2019 8:19 AM