Local Admin Cannot Access Client With SQL Authentication RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everyone,

I got Local Admin Privilege on server, from this server am trying to connect to SQL server with sql server authentication on different server then it throws error named pipe 40 and error no 1326. But if I login with domain user name it allows me to access server With sql server authentication.

Keberos is enabled for the server to which I am trying to connect. Can anyone help me with understanding why this happening.

Regards

Gokul

Friday, July 17, 2009 9:25 AM

All replies

• Hi Gokul,

I think you're using, Windows integrated authentication, not SQL authentication (you don't specify username and password during the logon). If you try to connect to the remote server while you're logged in with a local account (e.g. the local Administrator account), then the remote server cannot determine your identity, because no trust exists between the computers this way. However, if you log in with a domain account onto the first computer and try to connect to the remote server (which is part of the same domain), it can identify you easily and grant you logon if you are permitted to log in.

In short: if you have multiple computers, you're better to use domain logins.
    -- Erik -- http://blog.rollback.hu
    Friday, July 17, 2009 12:09 PM
  • Hi Erik,
              Thanks For the Reply.

I Had Created one user named Readuser which has been given permission to access one database

I basically tried two ways.

1) FIRST I LOGGED IN MACHINE AS LOCAL ADMINISTRATOR WHICH I AM USING AS CLIENT TO CONNECT ANOTHER SERVER WHICH HAS SQL SERVER

when try this for connecting by selecting SQL SERVER AUTHENTICATION and entering username and password and trying to connect sql server which is there on other server it fails giving the named pipe error.

2) I LOGGED IN AS DOMAIN USER.

then try to connect sql server by selecting SQL SERVER AUTHENTICATION and passing username and password it works fine

THE SERVER ON WHICH SQL SERVER IS INSTALLED HAS KERBEROS BEEN SET ON THAT.

I have a feeling that Kerberos is first checking that the user is trusted domain user and its failing according to first way as I had logged in local administrator

And it successfully allowing when I login as domain user and try to connect using SQL Server Authentication.

My Doubt is that if I am using sql server authentication not windows authentication it should use sql server authentication credentials to connect. Why it is checking that the user is domain user or not.

Regards

Gokul

Friday, July 17, 2009 2:00 PM