Prompt user for app feedback not working

Question

• I'm trying to get an app review prompt to appear when they have opened my app for the 5th time but I don't seem to be having any luck. I've tried using the code on this site but it doesn't work for me. Are there any other ones available that anyone knows of?

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/uk_faculty_connection/archive/2013/07/25/prompting-for-feedback-within-your-windows-phone-or-windows-8-app-game.aspx

async protected override void OnLaunched(LaunchActivatedEventArgs e)
        {
            int started = 0; 
            if (Windows.Storage.ApplicationData.Current.RoamingSettings.Values.ContainsKey("started")) 
            { 
                started = (int)Windows.Storage.ApplicationData.Current.RoamingSettings.Values["started"]; 
            }

started++;
            Windows.Storage.ApplicationData.Current.RoamingSettings.Values["started"] = started;

if (started == 10) 
            { 
                var md = new Windows.UI.Popups.MessageDialog("Thank you for using this app?", "Please review my app"); 
                bool? reviewresult = null; 
                md.Commands.Add(new Windows.UI.Popups.UICommand("OK", new Windows.UI.Popups.UICommandInvokedHandler((cmd) => reviewresult = true))); 
                md.Commands.Add(new Windows.UI.Popups.UICommand("Cancel", new Windows.UI.Popups.UICommandInvokedHandler((cmd) => reviewresult = false))); 
                await md.ShowAsync();
                if (reviewresult == true)
                {
                string familyName = Package.Current.Id.FamilyName; 
                await Windows.System.Launcher.LaunchUriAsync(new Uri(string.Format("ms-windows-store:REVIEW?PFN={0}", familyName))); 
                }
            }

#if DEBUG
            if (System.Diagnostics.Debugger.IsAttached)
            {
                this.DebugSettings.EnableFrameRateCounter = true;
            }
    #endif

Frame rootFrame = Window.Current.Content as Frame;

// Do not repeat app initialization when the Window already has content,
            // just ensure that the window is active
            if (rootFrame == null)
            {
                // Create a Frame to act as the navigation context and navigate to the first page
                rootFrame = new Frame();
                // Set the default language
                rootFrame.Language = Windows.Globalization.ApplicationLanguages.Languages[0];

rootFrame.NavigationFailed += OnNavigationFailed;

if (e.PreviousExecutionState == ApplicationExecutionState.Terminated)
                {
                    //TODO: Load state from previously suspended application
                }

// Place the frame in the current Window
                Window.Current.Content = rootFrame;
            }

if (rootFrame.Content == null)
            {
                // When the navigation stack isn't restored navigate to the first page,
                // configuring the new page by passing required information as a navigation
                // parameter
                rootFrame.Navigate(typeof(MainPage), e.Arguments);
            }
            // Ensure the current window is active
            Window.Current.Activate();
        }

Wednesday, April 08, 2015 8:31 PM

Answers

All replies

• In what way does this not work?

What is the actual behaviour you get, and how does that differ from what you expect?

Wednesday, April 08, 2015 8:44 PM
    Owner
  • The message box does not appear as expected after launching my app several times
    Wednesday, April 08, 2015 8:55 PM
  • I would figure out if the issue is with the 'started' counter or elsewhere first.

Comment out the if(started == 10) or use a breakpoint to make sure there is nothing wrong there (though the code looks correct).

Visit http://blog.grogansoft.com/ for Windows development fun.

Thursday, April 09, 2015 12:53 AM
  • You're calling it before the app is initialized to the point where it can start the MessageDialog.

If you look at the article you're copying from you'll see that it says to put the new code at the bottom of the OnLaunched method after the call to Window.Current.Activate(), not at the beginning of the OnLaunched method.

Thursday, April 09, 2015 1:16 AM
    Owner
  • I understand but it still doesn't work for me for some reason. Check my code below:

{
            #if DEBUG
            if (System.Diagnostics.Debugger.IsAttached)
            {
                this.DebugSettings.EnableFrameRateCounter = true;
            }
            #endif

if (rootFrame == null)
            {
                // Create a Frame to act as the navigation context and navigate to the first page
                rootFrame = new Frame();

{
                }

}

{
                // parameter
            }

int started = 0;
            if (Windows.Storage.ApplicationData.Current.RoamingSettings.Values.ContainsKey("started"))
            {
                started = (int)Windows.Storage.ApplicationData.Current.RoamingSettings.Values["started"];
            }

started++;
            Windows.Storage.ApplicationData.Current.RoamingSettings.Values["started"] = started;

if (started == 3)
            {
                var md = new Windows.UI.Popups.MessageDialog("Thank you for using this app?", "Please review my app");
                bool? reviewresult = null;
                md.Commands.Add(new Windows.UI.Popups.UICommand("OK", new Windows.UI.Popups.UICommandInvokedHandler((cmd) => reviewresult = true)));
                md.Commands.Add(new Windows.UI.Popups.UICommand("Cancel", new Windows.UI.Popups.UICommandInvokedHandler((cmd) => reviewresult = false)));
                await md.ShowAsync();
                if (reviewresult == true)
                {
                    string familyName = Package.Current.Id.FamilyName;
                    await Windows.System.Launcher.LaunchUriAsync(new Uri(string.Format("ms-windows-store:REVIEW?PFN={0}", familyName)));
                }
            }
        }

Sunday, April 12, 2015 12:24 PM
  • When my app launches a message box is shown. How can I prevent it from being shown again so that when the user taps the "Don't show again" button, the message box doesn't launch the next time it is opened?

{

if (rootFrame == null)
                {
                    rootFrame = new Frame();

{
                    }

}

{
                    // parameter
                }

MessageDialog md = new MessageDialog("This is a MessageDialog", "Title");
                bool? result = null;
                md.Commands.Add(
                   new UICommand("OK", new UICommandInvokedHandler((cmd) => result = true)));
                md.Commands.Add(
                   new UICommand("Don't show this again", new UICommandInvokedHandler((cmd) => result = false)));

await md.ShowAsync();
                if (result == true)
                {
                    // do something    
                }
                else if (result == false)
                {
                    // do something    
                }

}

Monday, April 20, 2015 10:52 PM
  • You'll do something essentially like you have in your previous code and as discussed at http://blogs.msdn.com/b/uk_faculty_connection/archive/2013/07/25/prompting-for-feedback-within-your-windows-phone-or-windows-8-app-game.aspx

Store a value in local (or roaming) settings to track if you should or should not show the dialog.

Monday, April 20, 2015 11:14 PM
    Owner