Replacing White with Transparent RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have an image, let's just say a circle which is black, and then a white circle on top of the black circle.

I wish to now replace the small white circle on the black circle with no color - in other words, making the white circle transparent, like a giant "O", so that when the graphic image is placed within a document, one can see what's underneath just the white portion.

How do I replace the white circle with no color (transparent) to make this happen?

Thanks so much!

Saturday, April 10, 2010 8:43 PM

All replies

• Okay dokay:

1 - place black circle on Layer 2

2 - place white circle on Layer 3 and change to Erase blend mode

3 - place image on Layer 1 and all being well it should display through the 'hole' created by white circle

You can try adding some blur to the white circle to get a soft edge look

Hint: it is a good idea to lock some objects and free up the object you want to move just incase the wrong object is shifted.

Edit:

+ the above assumes Layer 3 is above Layer 2 is above Layer 1

+ to export the image without having the rest of the image appear outside of the black circle you will need to add another object to Layer 2 namely a rectangle larger than the image on Layer 1 with a circle below it the same size as the black circle.

Select the rectangle and copy of black circle then Paths > Front minus back.

To that object too you can add a bit of creative blur if you wish

• Edited by BBB Saturday, April 10, 2010 10:01 PM forgot some important complications
    Saturday, April 10, 2010 9:49 PM
  • Two more suggestions:

If what you need is a hole and you don't want to have many layers, you can also use compounds paths. You draw the first circle, or whatever other figure, then you draw the "white" one on top. Select both and pick from the menu "make compound path". This will turn the inside figure into a hole. You can always use "release compound path" to undo the operation at any time.

If you use instead BBB's suggestion, you may like to know that with erase blend mode you can also use gradients. For the inside figure, pick instead of white a gradient that go from 100% opacity to 0% opacity (you can change opacity in gradient steps by using the "stop alpha" textbox). This will make the object to "fade" into a hole. You can place both circles on the same layer, only the image must be on a different lower layer for erase to work as you need.

Sunday, April 11, 2010 10:58 PM
  • Nice one Elena!

I must admit to using a working method that seems complicated but at the same time makes good use of some of ED's hidden gems.

Making a mask in the same layer as the image is a very good way to go.

Tuesday, April 13, 2010 10:05 AM