Shutting Down Option Developer Preview

Question

• Shutting down the PC using Developer Preview can be a bit of a juggle. Unless, perhaps, a tile for shutting down will be created, aside from that, there's still a need to hover to the start key, then settings then there you will find the Power option. Any thoughts regarding this?
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 6:18 PM

Answers

• In case it is helpful there is also a power button on the metro lock screen.  Press ctrl+alt+delete and there is a power button in the lower right corner.

Hope this helps,

Richard

• Proposed as answer by Rich Prescott Wednesday, September 14, 2011 6:49 PM
    • Marked as answer by medroid Thursday, September 15, 2011 12:27 AM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 6:45 PM

All replies

• I noticed this too... Shutdown in Win 7 is two clicks, now we're at four clicks.  I'm also missing the option to sleep??  It took me a good 5 - 10 minutes to even find the Shutdown option.... having it inside settings wasn't really intuituve to me.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 6:42 PM
  • In case it is helpful there is also a power button on the metro lock screen.  Press ctrl+alt+delete and there is a power button in the lower right corner.

Hope this helps,

Richard

• Proposed as answer by Rich Prescott Wednesday, September 14, 2011 6:49 PM
    • Marked as answer by medroid Thursday, September 15, 2011 12:27 AM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 6:45 PM
  • That is good to know... so we can do a Ctrl Alt Del, then Click Power, then Click Shut Down.  So, down to three steps instead of four.
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 6:49 PM
  • Problem with that probably is that, Shutdown feature is not readily seen. Ctr+Alt+Del is a common knowledge for us but I think shutting down should be a feature where its easily seen and navigable. 
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 12:30 AM
  • You can do it by drawing the pointer in the start button, select Settings, click on Power button and Shut down.

Thursday, September 15, 2011 12:32 AM
  • You can do it by drawing the pointer in the start button, select Settings, click on Power button and Shut down.

Right, that was already mentioned.  The point was the number of clicks we're having to go through to get to shut down... two in Win 7 compared to 4 in Win 8.
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 12:36 AM
  • I'm sure that you can find a way to create a shortcut on the desktop that will shut down the PC

Maby a batch script?

Thursday, September 15, 2011 1:55 AM
  • I could write a script, but a normal user couldn't.  If I had time, I'd write a Metro Style App that could give you access to shut down the computer, change power settings, etc and it could just sit on the Metro Start page.  Would be cool, if only I had time.
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 1:58 AM
  • I think that there should be Power option in this "new Start menu" (the one with Settings, Share, Search, Start buttons) instead of Settings panel. This would solve the problem.
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 2:59 AM
  • A simple power icon in the lower right of the new start screen would be effective and efficient.
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 3:19 AM
  • or just a ctl-alt-del icon, my Acer tablet doesn't have keys and I can't hover my finger, nor can I use any win+ hotkeys.

however, I haven't looked yet, but if there was the option to make the power button lock the screen (like options for standby / shutdown / hibernate) it would be natural like all other phones and tablets.

Jae
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 5:05 AM
  • I actually found it quite simple.  Click on the user tile on Metro then log off, then when the lock screen comes on lift it up with the mouse and then the power button is in the bottom right of the screen.  I have been working with it for the better part of the day and have found it better getting from one point to the other a lot quicker than in Windows 7, and have found that pinning is relatively simple.  Just have to get used to the flow of the system.  and so far all the "normal commands" work with Windows 8 DP so that should help.
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 6:35 AM
  • I actually found it quite simple. 

Simple was Windows 7.  Click Start, Click Shutdown.  Done.  You are clicking a user tile, clicking log off, sliding a lock screen, finding a power button and clicking it.  How is that simple?? 

An earlier post mentioned pressing ctrl alt del... I don't think most users would intuitively think of this, unless they were looking for a force shut down, and for an OS geared toward keyboard-less systems, ctrl alt del would be a mute point.

Not finding fault, just looking for ways to keep the number of clicks down... clicks = time, time = money.

Saturday, September 17, 2011 7:31 AM