Bitmap Effects in Blend 3 RRS feed

• Question

• I noticed something strange in Blend 3. When I create a project in Blend 2 with various bitmap effects( blur, drop shadow, outer glow) and open it in Blend 3, everything works fine and I am able to see/edit these effects. However, if I create a new Blend 3 project the only bitmap effects that I have available to me are blur and drop shadow. Is there anyway to add these old effects permanently into the Blend 3 interface? Thanks in advance!
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 1:35 PM

All replies

• Oh and these are WPF projects by the way
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 1:38 PM
  • You really should consider not using those effects as they are not h/w accelerated and will slow down your app tremendously if not used correctly. You can find a number of h/w accl. shader effects that you can download and use in your app here:

http://wpffx.codeplex.com/

That said, we have no plans to bring back to older effects into our UI (because we don't want anyone to be using those).

Thanks,
    Unni
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 5:43 PM
  • The one problem that i've come across is that there is no easy h/w accl. shader effect that will do something like the bevel bitmap effect.  At least I have not had any luck reproducing the bevel effect.
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 6:22 PM
  • http://www.bing.com/search?q=bevel+hlsl&src=IE-SearchBox&FORM=IE8SRC

:)
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 6:25 PM
  • Is there a how-to guide from a designer point of view to utilize HLSL in an application?  I work on a team with developers and have covered the designer side of things and do not get code-side.  I understand the bitmap effects being dropped, as I noticed huge resource hits when utilizing them, but man, they were convenient!  Any help on getting started with HLSL from a designer point of view would be greatly appreciated.
    Purkiss
    Tuesday, October 6, 2009 3:40 PM