none
Windows 7 embedded softAP RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm trying to convert a working windows 7 application to a windows 7 embedded environment. I use softAP (netsh wlan create hostednetwork ...) in order to allow wifi client connection to the system. Everything is working as intended with windows 7 pro.

I tried with windows 7 embedded using exactly the same hardware and the same drivers as the windows 7 working configuration. But impossible to get softAP working.

The command netsh wlan start hostednetwork always give me the same error : "The group or resource is not in the correct state to perform the requested operation."

Also, the commande netsh wlan create hostednetwork don't seem to create a virtual AP connection (I only see two connections in connections and sharing panel : lan and wifi whereas there are 3 with windows 7 pro (lan, wifi and virtual wifi)).

Do you know if it is possible to use softAP with windows 7 embedded ?
    If that is the case do you have hints of what I could have missed ?
    Is there something special to do in order to get softAP with windows 7 embedded ?

Thank you in advance.

Monday, May 19, 2014 12:12 PM

Answers

• Ok, I found the solution, I'll leave it here in case somebody else has the same issue.

If you use a windows 7 embedded DVD and select packages from here it will not include the virtual wifi bus driver. You have to use Windows 7 embedded toolkit to create a image and make sure that Packages/Driver/Netservice/Virtual Wifi Bus Driver is included in the answer File.

Next, install the image to your target hardware. A virtual wifi card will already be installed so there's no need to use the usual command "netsh wlan create hostednetwork" instead use the command "netsh wlan set hostednetwork" to change the hostednetwork SSID and password. Then the command "netsh wlan start hostednetwork" should start your softAP as intended.

Hope this will be usefull to someone.

• Marked as answer by zoy Wednesday, May 21, 2014 10:57 AM
    Wednesday, May 21, 2014 10:47 AM

All replies

• You might have a missing package. Are you building a full WES 7 image - Application Compatibility or a smaller custom image?

www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com / Book Author - Pro Guide to WE8S, Pro Guide to WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET

Monday, May 19, 2014 11:45 PM
  • Hello,

Thank you for your reply.
    I tried with several images. The last one I tried was application compatibility where I added all unselected packages manually.

Can you confirm me that it is possible to use softAP with windows 7 embedded ?
    If I'm not missing any package, do you have idea of what else I could check ?

Thank you in advance.

Tuesday, May 20, 2014 8:59 AM
  • I have no idea what softAP is.

www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com / Book Author - Pro Guide to WE8S, Pro Guide to WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET

Tuesday, May 20, 2014 1:52 PM
  • SoftAP means Software Access Point.

It creates a virtual wifi card behaving like a wifi access Point.
    It turns a windows client machine into a little wifi router.

It works perfectly with a windows 7 pro so I assumed it should also work with windows 7 embedded ?

Tuesday, May 20, 2014 3:41 PM
  • Ok. I wrote about this idea for XPe: http://annabooks.com/Articles/Articles_XPE/XPe_Wireless_Hot_Spot.pdf

Someone recently asked about this in a another post, and it appears something might be missing in WES 7.

Tuesday, May 20, 2014 6:05 PM
  • Thank you for the pdf link and the info.

Unfortunatly, in our application, I can't use ad hoc for performance reason, that's why I use softAP (which behaves more like a real access point).

Tuesday, May 20, 2014 6:24 PM
  • Ok, I found the solution, I'll leave it here in case somebody else has the same issue.

If you use a windows 7 embedded DVD and select packages from here it will not include the virtual wifi bus driver. You have to use Windows 7 embedded toolkit to create a image and make sure that Packages/Driver/Netservice/Virtual Wifi Bus Driver is included in the answer File.

Next, install the image to your target hardware. A virtual wifi card will already be installed so there's no need to use the usual command "netsh wlan create hostednetwork" instead use the command "netsh wlan set hostednetwork" to change the hostednetwork SSID and password. Then the command "netsh wlan start hostednetwork" should start your softAP as intended.

Hope this will be usefull to someone.

• Marked as answer by zoy Wednesday, May 21, 2014 10:57 AM
    Wednesday, May 21, 2014 10:47 AM
  • Thanks Zoy. I have been stuck on exactly the exactly same issue for days!

Thanks for posting your solution - much appreciated.

Andrew

Thursday, August 28, 2014 3:42 PM