New generation Visual Foxpro .net RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hallo all,

Are there poeple intresseted in a new version of Visual Foxpro.

We are busy to make a new version of Visual Foxpro and will be named Visual Foxpro .Net and also will be fully open source. Let us know of you want that so that we also will built-in the backward compatability of older versions. You can reach us by skype and also by email. When you contact us by skype then tell that us contact us in case of Visual Foxpro .Net.

SKYPE ID: FKLOOTWIJK

MAIL: f.klootwijk@gmail.com

Regards,

Frederik

Sunday, March 10, 2013 6:56 PM

All replies

• What you've done so far? If you are talking about open source then you could point us to the appropriate web repository.

What level of backward compatibility is planned if we don't contact you? I am just curious.

Sunday, March 10, 2013 9:43 PM
  • When are you planning to release that?
    Monday, March 11, 2013 11:29 AM
  • are u from a company or individual ?

are u serious/joking ?

if u are serious, when it wll be launched visual foxpro.net.  can we simply say use customer to open customer.dbf sitting in web server ?

Lakshmi

Monday, March 11, 2013 11:38 AM
  • You are at least the fifth person/company to do this. None have succeed. One company even had a beta version out, but they too have disappeared.

Craig Berntson
    MCSD, Visual C# MVP
    INETA Community Speaker
    www.craigberntson.com

Monday, March 11, 2013 2:10 PM
  • Hello to All,

Thanks for all the reaction that you are giving to us, and yes we are doing this with more people. We will publish the first open source version of Visual FoxPro .Net on codeplex. The link is: https://visualfoxpronet.codeplex.com/. We was open this on the 3th of march this year but we are already developing approximately 14 month on the project. The planning is that the first source will be stable and available of the fully version on the 1st of June 2013. During that time we will publish different modules that we have tested. 

Please if you want to follow us, you can do that also on https://visualfoxpronet.codeplex.com/.

Regards,

Frederik 

Monday, March 11, 2013 5:53 PM
  • Sorry I cannot say Great! because I didn't see your product yet and my thoughts are closer to the Craig's ones... 

BUT I would like to say Great!

BTW, you should contact Christof Wollenhaupt. Guineu is something different but you could find many common points. Unfortunately, Guineu isn't open source. 

http://guineu.foxpert.com/

Monday, March 11, 2013 6:18 PM
  • Can you tell us who "we" means and what your experience is with Visual FoxPro?

Tamar

Monday, March 11, 2013 8:23 PM
    Answerer
  • I wish you great success, Frederik.  Will it be copyleft protected?  I too am working on a FLOSS  follow-on to Visual FoxPro (www.visual-freepro.org). There is a huge demand for the continuation of VFP. Especially in Latin America.
    Tuesday, March 12, 2013 2:28 AM
  • This is also very interesting project. And it seems you are providing more info than Frederik. I'll place my notes to the forum on www.visual-freepro.org later.

• Edited by Pavel Celba Tuesday, March 12, 2013 2:03 PM
    Tuesday, March 12, 2013 2:03 PM
  • I mentioned Visual FreePro in my Experts-Exchange article on "What is Microsoft Visual FoxPro". I may add  Visual Foxpro .Net,  if there is something to see.

Like Pavel and Craig mentioned, we're not easily delighted by such efforts having made bad experiences.  Visual Foxpro .Net sounds like what etecnologia bagan and not finished. Craig Boyd and Bo Durban also began a VFP Studio Code editor based on Visual Studio Isolated Shell in 2008, but that also has got silent. It's not about missing trust in people, it's just a too big effort.

Bye, Olaf.

Olaf Doschke (Setmics)

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 8:44 AM
  • Olaf, you should mention Visual FreePro. There is something to see. But we should wait a few months for the promissed releases.

BTW, Lianja ver. 1 announced 2012 Oct is still available as RC4 only.

I know it is hard to produce stable software...

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 7:17 PM
  • Olaf, you should mention Visual FreePro. 

Huh? I wrote

I mentioned Visual FreePro in my Experts-Exchange article.

Olaf Doschke (Setmics)

Thursday, March 14, 2013 7:43 AM
  • Sorry it seems I am a little bit tired...

Thursday, March 14, 2013 9:31 AM
  • Bad news:

Visual FreePro development was suspended 29. 4. 2013 - more info http://www.visual-freepro.org/_index.html

Good news (probably):

Baiyujia released VFP 9 Fix5 - more info http://www.baiyujia.com/vfpcompiler/en/default.asp

Thursday, May 2, 2013 3:12 PM
  • Bad news:

Visual FreePro development was suspended 29. 4. 2013....

Visual FreePro development was suspended to locate revenue sources to devote full-time development to it.  The Visual FreePro project consists of internal parts:
    (1)  A new virtual machine (VVM)
    (2)  An operating system specific module (VVMOSS)
    (3) Visual FreePro itself

The project I am working on now continues to develop (1) and (2), but does not develop (3).  Visual FreePro cannot work without (1) and (2) being completed, so in that way Visual FreePro development is continuing.  It is just that presently my goals in development are to complete this new project so I can begin to receive revenue to devote full-time development to Visual FreePro.

Regardless of whether or not this works out, however, after I have completed my current project (the one seeking revenue streams), I am returning to Visual FreePro development.

Visual FreePro lives on ... indirectly for now ... but purposefully after about a two month break to complete this other project.

If anyone would like to contribute to the project to aid in development ... I welcome the input.

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 8:18 AM
  • good work.... and keep it up....

Try to make a compiler which compile VFP.APP ( Visual Foxpro Project ) to ASP.NET Code.....

Just like we make a Executable file from Visual Foxpro .PJX file

Good Luck  :)

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 10:41 AM
  • We want to Run VFP Application on any browser
    Wednesday, May 22, 2013 10:41 AM
  • Yes we are inserted in New Version of Visual Foxpro .NET....

Waiting for It.....

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 10:44 AM
  • We want to Run VFP Application on any browser

Highly doubtful you'll ever be able to run desktop Foxpro in any browser.  You can't even do a .NET windows forms application that runs in any browser!

And I'm wondering if this effort is going to drop great VFP things like cursors and lightning fast DBF access just to say it's some sort of .NET (and don't get me started on the non-benefits of 64-bit programs!!)

Anyway, you CAN use FoxPro code and data in any web browser RIGHT NOW.  And any smart phone or tablet for that matter.  ActiveVFP demos all of this stuff and it is totally free and open source.  The only difference is the interface will be just plain HTML or HTML5/jQuery (modern front-ends you need to learn anyway).

http://activevfp.codeplex.com

Claude Fox - http://www.codeplex.com/activevfp - Open Source VFP web development

• Edited by Claude Fox Saturday, May 25, 2013 1:30 PM
    Wednesday, May 22, 2013 6:40 PM
  • You can run foxpro apps in a browser right now with FoxInCloud, we do it all day long.

Friday, May 24, 2013 2:12 PM
  • Sorry, but you are one of a number of people who have tried something like that, including sme VFP greats.  Never happen.  The amount of work is simply too much to make something compatible with VFP. You would need a large team and a lot of time and money.

How about just using VFP?

Friday, May 24, 2013 2:13 PM
  • Bad but expected.  I have worked with almost every third party attempt related to VFP, and only a handful have or had the ability to succeed.  By that I do not mean the abilities of the developer(s), but the economics and support.

Few ever make it to release stage, fewer still continue on, and fewer still are viable if/when the original developers give up.

Friday, May 24, 2013 2:16 PM

• Cool guys!

It's nice to see people are still in love with DBF file format and to the Xbase/VFP database manipulation programming scheme.

I myself have my own personal project related to Xbase/VFP it's a pure managed code under .NET/C#. NoSQL, Multi-user, thread-safe and it has a built in linq-like  features that will suffice most of the querying using Where/For and While condition with ease and without doing a database field mapping.

NoODBC, No need for OLEDB, ADO.Net, VFPOLEDB, SQL SERVER or any other Database connector to access the database file.

Visual Studio is the best IDE and GUI for building custom built enterprise business application IMHO. It's hard rolling my own IDE with intellisense from the scratch = )  let alone developing my own WinForm and WPF for my GUI ^_^y.

I'm embarking on this project to create library for .Net that is compatible to most DBF file format out there in the wild and make it's methods and properties description to be very much a like with Visual Foxpro and other XBase compatible programming language as close as possible e.g: http://spine-tailed-db.webs.com/skip-command

Good luck!

Monday, June 3, 2013 9:32 PM
  • Visual FreePro development is continuing.  You can monitor progress at Rick C. Hodgin's GitHub page for LibSF's Software (https://github.com/RickCHodgin/libsf -- See the "vvm" directory for the virtual machine and related apps).

If anyone is an expert at C/C++, has a love for VFP, and would like to help ... the door's open. :-)

Saturday, June 22, 2013 2:51 PM

• I am following this forum since the first days of its creation so I would like to share some thoughts about what we really want from a new version of VFP.

Do we want just the capability of embedding VFP files in .Net products? Do we want to retain the VFP vocabulary and embed it in the .Net coding environment ? Do we want to preserve the X (DB) core or we want to start everything from the beginning ? And, finally, why do we still need the old X-Base  programming model, or at least some of the provided features ? I think that these questions should first get solid and feasible answers before the first line of a new VFP version is written.

I believe that every one of us has a different perspective about how a new VFP version should look like, and what language should be used to create this version.

Since the VFP Data engine is not fully exposed through the VFP Api Library, it is practically meaningless to develop a new VFP version of any kind by using any language other than the VFP itself. Although we know the structure of the .dbf - .dbc files, we lack information regarding the applied optimizations and the intrinsic code of the indexing mechanisms in use.

To make a long story short, I believe that the only way to create a new VFP version is to use VFP to write it, and from what I am reading here, I understand that there are only a few who really know the actual capabilities of this language.

K. Pavlidis X-Base developer since 1993.

• Edited by OldTimerX Saturday, August 31, 2013 8:04 PM
    Saturday, August 31, 2013 8:01 PM
  • My view is different slightly...

We do need to preserve the time investment placed to all today's FoxPro applications. We do need our applications running without dependency on the OS platform used. We do need development continuation...

This does not mean 100% compatibility. The new product can use different indexes, different database (DBC) structure, different query optimizations etc.

Thus we may write the new xBase engine ourselves or we have to accept one of the existing/coming VFP replacements. Other way is to start everything from a scratch in different development tool which is also possible.

The idea to develop the new VFP in VFP itself sounds to me as not feasible.

Sunday, September 1, 2013 9:13 AM
  • Dear Pavel

It is almost done.

A new object model has been defined, a new abstraction layer has been added, a new runtime core has been created based on the Os Api, almost all of the native VFP classes have been replaced without using Ocx or DotNet, resource files have been added, a new code line scanner-composer has been added, true multilingual support on GUI and data has been added, an accurate code execution time measurement tool has been created, a fully programmable main window has been added, the compiler has been updated, a new code editor has been created, code protection has been added, a new IDE and distribution subsystem is being developed.

All the above are available outside the native Vfp Ide which is not involved in the development process.

All these are running based on the Vfp runtime libraries because we do need the Data Engine embedded in the legacy Vfp and the provided programming paradigm for the following reasons :

1. Vfp was made to produce structured data management applications which means in these days that a replacement should, at least, have access to local and remote SQLx databases besides the standard .dbf-dbc schema.

2. There is no better way to preserve X-Base compatibility (especially the CreateTable and FillCursor functionality) than exposing the original data engine through a new development platform, because a lot of the code embedded in this engine is proprietary. The Vfp Odbc and OleDb providers are old timers, like me, and they do not deliver, but the native data engine does and will continue to do so.

3. The Vfp programming paradigm provides simpler syntax and vocabulary comparing to any Cx or VBx platform, it is easy to expand and manipulate and well known to a large number of developers. It is very difficult, practically meaningless, to emulate this paradigm effectively with languages like Cx.

4. Speed and performance. Try to compare data exchange times between a Vfp data engine and a remote Odbc-connected SQL Server (remote on location) with everything else (ADO, OleDb, etc) from any other language. The results are surprising.

Regards

• Edited by OldTimerX Tuesday, September 3, 2013 10:53 AM
    Tuesday, September 3, 2013 2:44 AM
  • I have been following this conversation and all the interest it has generated. There is a great deal of interest in a new version of Visual FoxPro! I and many others have just carried right on upgrading and developing new versions of our products on VFP.

However, I believe that most Visual FoxPro developers want a product that will preserve their current enormous investment in code. Picture what many of us have had to go through, rewriting VB 6 applications to VB.net (We do not want that kind of upgrade). This means that the most desired thing is a VFP that allows the same power as .Net based products but without the radical break that we experienced between VB 6 and VB.Net.

That having been said, it will be interesting to see just what a VFP.Net will provide. Keep up the good work Frederik! whichever way your project turns out, you will have a following!

Regards,

Pharoa

Monday, September 23, 2013 1:25 PM
  • Pavel, do you have any thoughts on the Polar Fox project from Alaska Software?

Kevin Clark

Monday, September 23, 2013 8:09 PM
  • Not sure if anybody is actually still monitoring this thread, but here goes.

It seems to me over all these years of trying to create a VFP.Net, most efforts have failed, it is a HUGE task, most attempts failed within a year or two.  The links found in this thread that still show "some" activity still have not produced a "WOW" factor in the VFP community.

Well I think I have indirectly found the WOW factor, it is called XSharp, see http://xsharp.info.

A full featured OOP.NET language/compiler based on the XBase syntax. It still has the XBase feel with commands like USE, SELECT, APPEND, DELETE, SKIP, REPLACE, etc. and contain all of the XBase functions SubStr(), PadL(), PadR(), Left(), Right(), Replicate(), etc.

An announcement in February 2019:
    After Austin (Texas, USA conference) we will work on support for the (Visual) FoxPro dialect, Fabrice is going to present X# at a French Foxpro conference and we hope to also present the product at another FoxPro event (swfox) later this year.

The language already support various XBase dialects namely Visual Objects, Vulcan (discontinued), Xbase++ and [x]Harbour.

XSharp can handle "loose" declaration of variables:

LOCAL x // x can store any variable type

LOCAL x AS STRING // Strongly typed, x := .T. // Compiler error

VAR x := 1 // c# like strict typing of x to INT

It supports all features found in c# and VB.NET, even generic classes:

LOCAL sl AS SortedList<INT>

DELEGATES?  No sweat:

DELEGATE SayHello() AS STRING

FUNCTION English() AS STRING
    RETURN "Hello"

FUNCTION French() AS STRING
    RETURN "Bon jour"

FUNCTION Start() AS VOID
    LOCAL hello AS SayHello
    hello := English
    ?hello() // "Hello"
    hello := French
    ?hello() // "Bon jour"

Even without the VFP dialect implemented yet, I have already converted many VFP examples found on the web with a mere Replace <vfp anomaly> with <X# syntax>, the VFP code is approximately 90%+ X# compliant.

I hope to see some of you saying hello to a growing community of XBase developers.

Johan Nel
    Supporter of XSharp

Tuesday, March 5, 2019 5:16 AM
  • X# sounds promising but... 

We know about Lianja, Xbase++, VFP C++ Compiler, and maybe more but nothing is accepted by the development mainstream yet.  Alaska has rather big development base, Lianja is also publishing new versions frequently but I am not sure their xBase language implementation is what we (oldies) are expecting from it.

And newbies starting with xBase language are very rare. Can this be named sustainable development?

Of course, I am rather using FoxPro than C# because I know it better but to switch from FoxPro to something which is 90% compatible is even less probable than to improve my C# knowledge...

The question is whether is it worth to invest into VFP code conversion to X# or to Lianja or Xbase++? I did not see any famous VFP framework conversion yet. It should help surely. Maybe I could mention the XFRX is running under Xbase++ w/o problems but XFRX is not the app framework just the reporting engine or add-on.

Friday, March 8, 2019 2:00 PM
  • X# sounds promising but... 

Good day Pavel,

Sorry for only now replying to your message, but did not want to jump the gun.

However, X# will have a release probably end of this week with some VFP syntax support included.  Work on the pjx, scx, etc to begin in earnest and hopefully it will be shown at swfox where X# will be present.  A training session is also scheduled for the Sunday afternoon after closing of swfox.

I will make a more formal announcement in a seperate post.

X# greetings,

Johan Nel
    George, South Africa.

Friday, August 23, 2019 3:59 PM