SQL Azure Load Balancing RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

Does SQL Azure provide load balancing and how? I mean in windows azure i can change the config file of my web role and scale out to any number of role instances i want. But what about SQL Azure? this capability is not there in the Azure Portal.
    So does SQL Azure support load balancing (not failover only), and if yes how can i manage it to scale out to the number of database i want?

Thanks in advance.
    Friday, February 12, 2010 1:52 PM

Answers

• Hi There, There is not transperant way to scale out databases today and load balance the way you describe above. You can scale out to multiple databases for the best scalibility. However that does require application modifications.

thanks

Sunday, April 4, 2010 5:42 AM

All replies

• Hello, similar to Windows Azure storage, the load balancing in SQL Azure is out of your control. The current behavior is all requests to SQL Azure (yours and other people's) will be load balanced among multiple servers in our data center, but in the end, your request to a particular database is always redirected to a primary node to retrieve/update the data. If data is updated, the primary node is then replicated to other secondary nodes (for failover recovery). If the primary node fails, one of the secondary nodes will be selected as the new primary node.
    Lante, shanaolanxing This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, February 15, 2010 8:19 AM
  • Hi there, Can you expand on the goals you have for load balancing across databases? I assume the databases you want to load balance across are identical and does not receive frequent updates, am I right?
    thanks
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 7:58 AM
  • Hi Luo,

thanks for your reply. what you described is fail-over. I am talking about true load balancing (active-active) between multiple instances of the same db. I know that this is not supported in SQL Server which works only active-passive. but i wonder if it is supported on SQL Azure.
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 10:23 AM
  • Hi Cihan,

as i said, my goals are active-active load balancing. in my scenario the database does receive frequent updates and that is why i am concerned about load balancing between multiple instances.

i know about some partitioning techniques to distribute the database across multiple 1 GBs, but this is hardly a good solution since this mean i will have to tweak my application design "just" for that...
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 10:26 AM
  • Hi There, There is not transperant way to scale out databases today and load balance the way you describe above. You can scale out to multiple databases for the best scalibility. However that does require application modifications.

thanks

Sunday, April 4, 2010 5:42 AM