Increasing Tooltip Hover Time in IE10

Question

• Answers posters have a requirement to increase the Tooltip Hover Time in IE so I tried it in IE10 in Desktop mode and found that there is no tooltip at all--so perhaps yet another example of fixing a problem by removing functionality.   However, in IE10 Metro mode I still see a variation of the problem being reported so think it is worthwhile investigating from that point of view at least.

While starting this post I found this post which suggests to me that there may be a potential solution via XML rather than by conventional registry values but I'm not sure where to start looking for such.

TIA

Robert
    ---

Tuesday, November 22, 2011 5:27 PM

All replies

• Hi, Robert,

Pls take a look at the following link:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/feedback/forum/bug/mouse-hover-over-a-thread-subject-in-the-answers/35192d4b-a341-4146-a1c6-ac8ae7674754

To my opinion, it isn't enough to Increasing Tooltip Hover Time - because there is no reason for not letting the Tool-tip window to stay on AS LONG AS the mouse hovers.

This is how it works in Chrome & FireFox under Win7 and therefor it should work exactly like that in ALL latest MS Browsers [IE8 and newer].

Thanks,

Michael (micky) Avidan
    “Microsoft” MVP – Excel
    ISRAEL

Tuesday, November 22, 2011 6:54 PM
  • Thanks for posting, Ed.

Everything sounds fine but, unfortunately, there is nothing we  - end users - can change within the Site pages.

This is something the MS HTML programmers should be alerted of.

Michael (micky) Avidan
    “Microsoft” MVP – Excel
    ISRAEL

Wednesday, November 23, 2011 9:33 AM
  • Tooltips elsewhere in Windows don't persist indefinitely, they're intended as a piece of temporary UI to identify the purpose of a control. If you need more permanent UI it should probably be coded specifically.
    Wednesday, November 23, 2011 10:26 AM
  • You obviously haven't tried FireFox to see how nicely it works, AndyFanboy.

Ed,

You pulled the words out of my mouth... (-:}

Michael (micky) Avidan
    “Microsoft” MVP – Excel
    ISRAEL

Wednesday, November 23, 2011 11:01 AM
  • If you want this information in the hands of the developers, please send feedback through the Connect site.

If you’re an MSDN subscriber, the information on how to join the Connect program is included on the download page where you installed Windows Developer Preview. There’s a link to the Connect site and an invitation code that you can click on to join using a Windows Live ID account. If you’re not an MSDN subscriber follow this limited use link to join the Connect program and then follow the steps here.

If you are prompted for an invitation code, please enter the following key. MSDN-76H9-3CFP

https://connect.microsoft.com/site1147/InvitationUse.aspx?ProgramID=7221&InvitationID=MSDN-76H9-3CFP

Thanks,

Marilyn
    Tuesday, November 29, 2011 10:56 PM