Do I have to install LighSwitch to VS2012 Professional? RRS feed

• Question

• I have VS2012 Professional from DreamSpark school program but it looks like doesn't include LightSwitch.

- I downloaded and tried the web example "Address Book Sample" by using ContactManager.sln but it doesn't load. I create a project marked as "incompatible").

- In New Project/Installed/Templates/Other there is no Lightswitch folder.

- I tried Online\Templates\Other\LighSwitch\Time Tracker Starter Kit VS2012(CS) with no success.

So, where I can download LightSwitch for Visual Studio Professional?

Here is the information HELP/About:

Microsoft Visual Studio Professional 2012, Version 11.0.50727.1 RTMREL, Microsoft .NET Framework
    Version 4.5.50709

Installed Version: Professional,Microsoft Team Explorer for Visual Studio 2012

Microsoft Visual Basic 2012,Microsoft Visual C# 2012,Microsoft Visual C++ 2012,Microsoft Visual F# 2012,Microsoft® Visual Studio® 2012 Code Analysis Spell Checker, ... (NO LighSwitch here).

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 9:15 PM

Answers

• Solved! I checked the installation and LS wasn't selected. I am doing a MODIFY installation.
    Friday, February 15, 2013 6:46 PM

All replies

• I am not sure why you are not seeing LS as I have VS 2012 professional and I did not need to download anything.  In 2010 you had to install LS separately but not in VS 2012.

Johnny Larue, http://www.softlandingcanada.com

Thursday, February 14, 2013 2:02 AM
  • LightSwitch is an integral part of all VS 2012 versions (except Express), including Professional.

Here is how it appears for me:

Notice the path to get there is:

1. New Project
    2. Installed
    3. Templates
    4. LightSwitch
    5. Choose from one of the first 2 available templates (LightSwitch Application (VB/C#)

Yann - LightSwitch Central - Click here for FREE Themes, Controls, Types and Commands

Please click "Mark as Answer" if a reply answers your question. Please click "Vote as Helpful" , if you find a reply helpful.

By doing this you'll help others to find answers faster.

Thursday, February 14, 2013 3:14 AM
  • Thanks for the suggestions but none of that is applicable to my VS2012 Professional. Still, no sign of LS. In your installation, you probably will see the LS2012 listed when you do Help/About. Not on my installation. It may be that the version I have is special created to be distributed by DreamSpark (free software for Students and Education Institutes). 

Friday, February 15, 2013 4:08 AM
  • I have VS2012 pro version for students distributed by DeamSpark with LightSwitch, because as Yann said, LS is integral part of VS2012.

I just wanted to say that your problem has nothing to do with mentioned version.

Friday, February 15, 2013 1:36 PM
  • Solved! I checked the installation and LS wasn't selected. I am doing a MODIFY installation.
    Friday, February 15, 2013 6:46 PM