TFS 2012 Scrum 2 and multiple teams RRS feed

• Question

• Hi:

I have a large team project that will have 2 teams working within it.  I would like to use the scrum board and burn down with each team. 

* Each team will be on a different sprint schedule.

* I only want for the burn down to reflect the items for the given team.

I have read a little about using area to control this.  However, does that require that we run our sprints on the same schedule?

Friday, February 22, 2013 11:14 PM

Answers

• Do you see a drop-down towards the top left, next to where it says Team Foundation server 2012?

If so, click on "Browse All" and you'll see a list of your teams that you have access to.  Select it, then Navigate. 

Esteban Garcia - My blog

• Marked as answer by jmarsch2 Wednesday, February 27, 2013 4:15 PM
    Wednesday, February 27, 2013 3:33 PM

All replies

• Hi,

What TFS are you using now, TFS 2012 or team foundaion service(http://tfs.visualstudio.com/)?

As far as i know, burundown chart just show works in current sprint, it cannot filter according to different team. If you can change the work to two different team project, it would be easy for you to manage wrk.

Monday, February 25, 2013 2:03 AM
  • You can setup separate teams in a team project and each team can be assigned to a different sprint.  Each team will see a different backlog depending on the spring that they are assigned to, and these sprints can be on a different schedule.

You *can* control this by area but you don't have to.  When creating a new team, you will be asked if a new area should be created for that team, but you can choose not to do so.  From the admin section, you can assign teams to whichever area makes sense for you (or the top-level area) and assign the team to specific iterations.

More info here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh500417

Esteban Garcia - My blog

Monday, February 25, 2013 2:53 AM
  • @mini jacson:

We are using TFS 2012, not team foundation service. 

Monday, February 25, 2013 7:46 PM
  • Teams are available in TFS 2012 (on premises) and TFS Service, so this would work for you.

Esteban Garcia - My blog

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 1:59 AM
  • Hi Esteban:

I think that I am close,  but something is not quite right. 

I have 2 teams set up (team 1 adn team 2)

I am a member of both teams

Each team has been assigned a different iteration, and I have assigned dates to the iterations (the dates are inclusive of today).

So far so good, but if I reference the link that you gave me, the last section of that document indicates that there should be a dropdown in the upper right-hand corner that lets me set my team context.  I don't get that dropdown -- it simply isn't there at all.  I'm guessing that this is some sort of configuration issue.  What do I need to do to get that enabled?

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 4:48 PM
  • Hi,

I am trying to involve someone to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Regards,

Lily Wu
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 10:00 AM
  • Do you see a drop-down towards the top left, next to where it says Team Foundation server 2012?

If so, click on "Browse All" and you'll see a list of your teams that you have access to.  Select it, then Navigate. 

Esteban Garcia - My blog

• Marked as answer by jmarsch2 Wednesday, February 27, 2013 4:15 PM
    Wednesday, February 27, 2013 3:33 PM
  • That did it -- and the burn-down and scrum boards appear to be following the setting.

I still wonder why the right-hand dropdown doesn't show for me.  Do you know of a good way to verify that update 1 is installed? 

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 4:17 PM
  • Hi,

You can check the VS version. After install VS 2012 update 1, the VS version in my side is 11.0.51106.01 Update 1.

Thursday, February 28, 2013 1:48 AM
  • Thanks -- I need to check the TFS Server version though, not VS.  Do you know what the version number should be for that?
    Friday, March 1, 2013 3:40 PM
  • Hi,

After install TFS 2012 update 1, the version of TFS is 11.0.51106.01 Update 1 too.

Monday, March 4, 2013 2:40 AM