none
Located assembly's manifest definition does not match assembly reference (Enterprise Library) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello. I spent a couple of hours trying to sync the assembly references in a recently upgraded VS 2005 (to VS 2008) project that uses the Enterprise Library when I got the referenced error message. I followed a number of other solutions which didn't work, and I finally happened upon the answer and thought I'd share it here for anyone whom it might help.

The error message points to the source: c:\...application...\bin\Debug\appName.exe.config

The public key token must match the token used in the app.config file exactly (case counts). I used the Ent Lib Config tool to configure the file, but it appears that it inserted a lower case key in app.config and an uppercase one in the bin\Debug\appName.exe.config.

I manually copied one to the other and, voila, my application now works. Yea! There may be other ways of resolving this, but I didn't happen to find one.

Here's what the error message looked like:
    An error occurred creating the configuration section handler for dataConfiguration:
    Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Data, Version=4.1.0.0,
    Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies. The located assembly's manifest
    definition does not match the assembly reference. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131040)
    (D:\Projects....\appName.exe.config line 4)

Cheers,
    Tess
    Tess_H
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 10:45 PM

All replies

• Hi Tess,

Based on your description, it seems that you have some concern on project migration.

Some clarification with you:
    What kind of project do you want to migrate?

This forum is for the support of .NET Framework installation. I'm not quite familiar with migration and programming. Sorry for that.
    If you could provide me more detail information, I would be glad to help you to move your post to the appropriate forum so that you can get more useful help. This will be beneficial to other community members as well.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 6:02 AM