Supported Orientation / Supported Rotations - What is possible - What is required?

Question

• Hi,

in the past I thought you have to support all orientations, but now I think, it could be possible to limit the app to landscape, is this right?

And when I set the "Supported Rotations" to Landscape only, this should also apply to the app, right? But the simulator will still change, right - so I have to belive that it works if I don't have a tablet to test?

And what "formats" are required for certification? I think it is Snapped view (which is 320px width x total height), Fill (total width - 320px x total height) and either Landscape or Portrait. Or in other words: Snapped, Fill and Landscape are the three needed formats if I want to avoid Portrait?

Next Question: App should be fully functional in Landscape and also in Filled view. But for Snapped View, it would be okay to only display the logo of the app, right? Like the Store App.

Thanks for your help!

Martin

Sunday, June 30, 2013 9:53 PM

Answers

• Hi Martin,

Please ask separate questions in separate threads in appropriate forums.

See the certification requirements:

3.6 Your app must use the mechanisms provided by the system for those features that have them

Your app must support a snapped layout. In landscape orientation, your app’s functions must be fully accessible when the app’s display size is 1024 x 768. Your app must remain functional when the customer snaps and unsnaps the app.

Like in the Store app itself, "functional" means that it works intentionally and doesn't break. It doesn't have to have useful functionality, although better apps will do so whenever appropriate.

--Rob

Monday, July 8, 2013 11:15 PM