none
Akamai Download Manger does not work when username contains a $ sign RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have reproduced this behaviour on different computers (Win7/2003/2008 also 64bit and 32bit) every time the same:

Using accont named administrator$99 it doesn't work, using on the same computer the account alexander it works

After starting the download the Akamai window pops up, but remains empty and in the titelbar where normally only Download manager is shown, the titlebar shows a part of profile path beginning after the $ sign of the username

Normal:
    "Download Manger"

In case of using $ sign in Username:
    "99\Appdata\Local\Temp\24b6d057.tmp$ Download Manager"

It looks like the $ sign is used to separate Parameters within Download Manager and this does not function with an $ sing in the Path/username

regards
    A. Jacubowsky

update Oct. 18. 2012: Akamai has confirmed that this is an issue. But they did not tell me that they will fix this.

update Nov. 12 2012: Answer to my mail from akamai:

"As far as it not a software bug, it is not intended to be fixed. It is the structure design od DLM, so that the syntax does not parse the $ sign.
    Therefore, symbols like the $ sign are not recommended for usage within user ID’s."

Now it is official, the Bug is not a Bug, but it is recomended to use another loginname.  As with the "correct" (without a $ sign) Username the downloadmanager will work.

Please be adviced that as per definition by Akamai, a $-sign are not allowed in Username.

I found only folloing advice of allowed signs:

User names may contain any uppercase or lowercase character except for the following: / \ [ ] : . | = , + * ? < >

Source: http://en.kioskea.net/contents/winnt/ntusers.php3

Myabe Microsoft has a official Document stating allowed/disallowed signs in Usernames

• Edited by AJEDV Monday, November 12, 2012 8:59 AM better formatting
    Friday, October 12, 2012 8:19 AM

Answers

• Hi Mike,

Yes the name with $-sign is in the useraccount name (also Profilename), not the Displayname

After the last mail answer from Akamai I gave up.

So If you want to contact Akamai, I could send you the mailcontact I have. I think if Microsoft is asking to fix that bug, they could be a bit more cooperative then to me.

A. Jacubowsky

A. Jacubowsky

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 6:47 PM

All replies

• thanks for followup on on this AJEDEV.  I gave the Akamai team a heads up about this feedback, but I'm glad you went to them directly as well.  To confirm, the username you're talking about here is the windows account name thats performing the download?

if you want to reply here you can mark your reply as answered.  

Thanks!
    Mike

MSDN and TechNet Subscriptions Support
    Read the Subscriptions Blog!

• Marked as answer by AJEDV Wednesday, November 14, 2012 6:47 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Mike KinsmanModerator Wednesday, November 14, 2012 7:04 PM
    Wednesday, November 14, 2012 3:26 PM
  • Hi Mike,

Yes the name with $-sign is in the useraccount name (also Profilename), not the Displayname

After the last mail answer from Akamai I gave up.

So If you want to contact Akamai, I could send you the mailcontact I have. I think if Microsoft is asking to fix that bug, they could be a bit more cooperative then to me.

A. Jacubowsky

A. Jacubowsky

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 6:47 PM
  • Thanks for confirming AJDEV.  That's ok, we've got contacts with the AKamai team since we're a client of theirs.

You should get the answer points, not me :)  I've marked you as the answerer here!

Thanks,
    Mike

MSDN and TechNet Subscriptions Support
    Read the Subscriptions Blog!

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 7:04 PM