Blend3 project preview/design fixed in VS 2010 beta 1 RRS feed

• General discussion

• As a follow up to my previous post, on the issue of the xaml design preview in VS 2008 not working for Blend 3 solutions, I did some testing with VS 2010.

This is fixed in VS 2010 beta 1. In fact, VS 2010 not only provides a preveiw, it provides a design view for xaml when opening a solution created in Blend 3. This is great as it allows for 'visual' design from VS. Granted it is not as nice as Blend 3, but that is the purpose. Blend 3 to handle the detail intense design and VS to handle the code intense with some small cross overs. However, once the solution is opened in VS 2010 it is converted to the VS 2010 format. This causes Blend 3 to see the project as a 'unsupported format'. I assume this will be fixed with a Blend 3 hotfix or SP1 once VS 2010 is released. But will fixing it to be compatible with VS 2010 make it an unsupported format for VS 2008?

There appears to be some gaps. I mean, Blend 3 was intended to work side-by-side with VS 2008, but does not completely do this. It appears to be a 'gap' in VS 2008. VS 2010 works with Blend 3 projects, but Blend does not seem to work well with VS 2010 (a 'gap' in Blend).

I'm not seeing any 'harmonizing' here.
    Sunday, October 4, 2009 4:07 AM

All replies

• Hi,
          Blend 3 works side by side with VS 2008, if you convert your project to VS 2010 you will no longer be able to open it in Blend 3 or in VS2008. You need to wait for next release of Blend to work side by side with VS2010. I will try to follow up with Siverlight Tools team / VS team to see if we have a work-around for the preview issue.

Regards,
    Navit Saxena
    Sunday, October 4, 2009 9:22 AM
  • Hi,

Blend 3 works ok for me im working with Silverlight projects. But not when i work in a WPF project. (I have now installed vs2010 Beta2)

If i rightclick on a .xaml-file in the silverlight project i can select Edit with Blend. Missing this option in the WPF-project.

Is it some configuration i have missed or something i can do to make this work?

/SebulbaSe

Tuesday, October 20, 2009 1:51 PM