none
How to add a row from one dataset to another dataset if previous row is a new row in master DB RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys

I actually have two DB's - Master and localExpress - I connect to each of these DB's via a Adapter/dataset confuguration. Therefore I have a _dataSetMaster and a _dataSetLocalExpress that is filled on the application load.

Please note each of my DB's has a GUID's as primary keys ,  I dont use any INT64 primary keys and /or  autoincrement keys for either DB's.

So my question is as follows: When I Sync my app I have code that checks the _dataSetMaster rows and _dataSetLocalExpress and it will for example fin that the Admin guys (eg) has added a row to the Master DB therefore if refresh my _dataSetMaster adapter I will get an extra row in that _dataSetMaster dataset. But my _dataSetLocalExpress DOES not have this extra row and I would like a way to append / add this row to my _dataSetLocalExpress using the ADO NET functionality.

Some of you guys probably picked up that for the Syncing im using the Mircosoft Sync Framework - the syncing is working fine however I need a solution on an ADO NET level how to add my row from MAster DB to my local SQL instance. The MSoft Syncing has not panned out that well. SOme code:

_dataSetLocalExpress: (fill the dataset):

DataSetLocalExpressAdapter.CustomerAdpater localAdapter  = new  DataSetLocalExpressAdapter.CustomerAdpater ();
     localAdapter.Fill(_dataSetLocalExpress.Customer); 

_dataSetMaster: (fill the dataset): 

DataSetMasterAdapter.CustomerAdpater masterAdapter = new  DataSetMasterAdapter.CustomerAdpater ();
    masterAdapter.Fill(_dataSetMaster.Customer);

DataRow drExpress = null;

foreach (DataRow dataRowExpress in (_dataSetLocalExpress.Tables[0].Rows)
                    {

drExpress = _dataSetMaster.Customer.Rows.Find(dataRowExpress["GuidID"]);

if (drExpress != null)
                       {

//Dont add rows from master DB as there is no new GUID

}

else

{

//else do add something cuz there a new GUID found in master DB and it needs be added to the local express DB

}

SIncere aplogies if this is a noob question and or a complete wrong way of going about it, but I need some help here as I am not getting any closer to an elgant way of resolving this.

Kind regards

Geo

Monday, November 21, 2011 2:02 PM

Answers

• Geo,

Not sure if this could potentially help, and I certainly don't want to send you down the wrong path, but how about issuing a .Merge on the DataTables in the DataSets? You'd probably want to check to see if there are any changes in _dataSetMaster, and if so, merge the appropriate DT's in dataSetLocalExpress, then issue an update on the DataSetLocalExpressAdapter.

James Crandall ~ http://javitechnologies.com Spatial Database Solutions
    Monday, November 21, 2011 6:33 PM

All replies

• Geo,

Not sure if this could potentially help, and I certainly don't want to send you down the wrong path, but how about issuing a .Merge on the DataTables in the DataSets? You'd probably want to check to see if there are any changes in _dataSetMaster, and if so, merge the appropriate DT's in dataSetLocalExpress, then issue an update on the DataSetLocalExpressAdapter.

James Crandall ~ http://javitechnologies.com Spatial Database Solutions
    Monday, November 21, 2011 6:33 PM
  • Hi James

Yes that does make sense thank you :)

Tuesday, November 22, 2011 4:45 AM
  • Another suggestion, Geo, if James' Merge idea doesn't work for you (although it should): try the ImportRow() method in your existing code:

foreach (DataRow dataRowExpress in (_dataSetLocalExpress.Tables[0].Rows)
    {
        drExpress = _dataSetMaster.Customer.Rows.Find(dataRowExpress["GuidID"]);

if (drExpress != null)
        {
            //Dont add rows from master DB as there is no new GUID
        }
        else
        {
            //else do add something cuz there a new GUID found in master DB and it needs be added to the local express DB

_dataSetLocalExpress.Tables[0].ImportRow(drExpress);
        }    
    }

~~Bonnie Berent [C# MVP]

geek-goddess-bonnie.blogspot.com
    Tuesday, November 22, 2011 5:52 AM
  • Hi there Bonnie

Ok will try this approach as well, James suggestion did work however I am having a problem with updating my rows in my SQLExpress and SQLRemote.

I explain the problem in the following thread:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winformsdatacontrols/thread/e362f122-07b5-4d0d-b25f-0df63e4f980a

I hope that you can guid me in the right direction.

Kind regards

Geo

Thursday, November 24, 2011 10:03 AM