How to Depoly a Browser Helper Object Created Through an ATL dll RRS feed

• Question

• I created a browser helper object as a self-registering ATL. When I build this utility using Visual Studio 2010, the BHO appears in my browser, and all is well. I created a setup and deployment project in the same solution to deploy the BHO on other machines, but running the setup project does not cause the ATL to be in effect on other machines. In the application folder of the setup project, I've added every conceivable file and output object from the ATL--but still the ATL shows no signs of working. Strangely, the ATL will appear amoung the programs listed in the Programs area of the Control Panel, but the ATL never really laucnhes. This BHO is supposed to display an icon--a sign that never appears. I desperately need help on this problem. Thanks.
    Friday, August 5, 2011 10:29 PM

Answers

• Problem solved. First, I'm sorry about the misspelling in the title; I can't figure out how to fix that. What I painfully did figure out is that in the Setup and Deploymnet project that I created is that I had to add under Application Folder all the items listed under Project Output Group. (It could be true that not all items really had to be added. I'll investigate this point later.) Then under Primary Output from <main project> I had to set the Register property to vsdrpCOMSelfReg. After doing so, I was able to successfully install my ATL dll on other computers.
    Saturday, August 6, 2011 6:31 PM

All replies

• Problem solved. First, I'm sorry about the misspelling in the title; I can't figure out how to fix that. What I painfully did figure out is that in the Setup and Deploymnet project that I created is that I had to add under Application Folder all the items listed under Project Output Group. (It could be true that not all items really had to be added. I'll investigate this point later.) Then under Primary Output from <main project> I had to set the Register property to vsdrpCOMSelfReg. After doing so, I was able to successfully install my ATL dll on other computers.
    Saturday, August 6, 2011 6:31 PM
  • Hi IamOsiris,

I’m glad to hear that you got it working.

Thank you for sharing your solutions & experience here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.

Best regards,

Lucy

Lucy Liu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, August 8, 2011 10:04 AM