none
.Net Multi threaded application slow on a powerful server vis a vis regular server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have following two server configurations:

Server1:

Processor Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-4617 0 @ 2.90GHz, 2900 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 6 Logical Processor(s)
    Processor Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-4617 0 @ 2.90GHz, 2900 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 6 Logical Processor(s)

OS Name  Microsoft Windows Server 2012 Standard

Physical Memory  128 GB

Server2:

Processor Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X5650  @ 2.67GHz, 2659 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

OS Name  Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise

Physical Memory  24 GB

My application use the Task API to parallelize the parent and child component, where parent class task / thread would invoke, child class object, which again parallelize a module using Task API.

Initially I have run on server2, and have got the performance results, which were better than running the application without Tasks, now my expectation as in theory was that when Server1 comes in the picture, there should be some performance enhancement, since the child component has at least 20 -30 tasks running in parallel, but to my utter surprise, it has worsened by 3-4 times, so if earlier single execution of child component was taking 2 seconds, now it is taking 7-8 seconds, which is a disaster for us, as the child component may get invoked few million times and I am not sure, how to go about resolving the issue, especially since the Server1 is suppose to be the production. Any pointers to get me started to resolve the issue would be great.

Please let me know if you need more details / clarification. I have checked usage too, Powerful server is having more 50% memory free and is using barely 5% of the CPU

thanks,

Mrinal

Thursday, August 29, 2013 5:44 AM

Answers

• Dear Ze Tan,

Issue I have mentioned is part of big project, so it is very difficult to segregate. Building a reproducible stand alone code would be time consuming.

Issue has been fixed we have to trim down the un-necssary locks (especially the ones locking the non shared DS), which were causing the threads to slow down

thanks,

Mrinal

Monday, September 2, 2013 6:06 AM

All replies

• Hi Mrinal,

Could you please share the code you tested here or in your SkyDrive?

Regards

ALL FOR ONE AND ONE FOR ALL.

Thursday, August 29, 2013 8:31 AM
  • Dear Ze Tan,

Issue I have mentioned is part of big project, so it is very difficult to segregate. Building a reproducible stand alone code would be time consuming.

Issue has been fixed we have to trim down the un-necssary locks (especially the ones locking the non shared DS), which were causing the threads to slow down

thanks,

Mrinal

Monday, September 2, 2013 6:06 AM