How to decide window server configuration for deployment? RRS feed

• Question

• If I need to provide any application architect then based upon some requirement, I can suggest Distributed or Service oriented architect. Like if it need to integrate with multiple system then I can suggest distributed architect and integrate it with third party systems through WCF/ Web services. But if client ask me to provide what will be system requirements for deployment then I am not sure what should be server configuration that can support which amount of load.

May be I am asking very subjective query but I want to know if client says I need to develop a system which 2000 active users and out of that 500 are transactional users. It also need to integrate with 10 more system which should be real time integration. So here I can suggest web server, app server and database server at physical layer. But how much web server, app server need to deploy and what should be configuration (RAM, Processor etc.)? How we take these type of decision?

Tuesday, November 24, 2015 12:53 PM

All replies

• I have a some questions in return;

1. What distinction are you using when you talk about Distributed vs. SOA?

2. What performance tests have you run on your systems?

3. None of the above is actually useful without understanding the domain of the system. E.g. is there a need for a database? If so what type of database? How do the users sign in? What is the state-fullness of the data, Etc.

http://pauliom.wordpress.com

Tuesday, November 24, 2015 3:57 PM
  • Hi,

This query is not related to any live project. I just want to know if someone going to design an application then how they decide what could be the server configuration where they are going to deploy their system. What parameters (e.g. active users) they capture to decide and what should be parameters values based upon which they can say to handle this much load this server configuration required.

Please also find answers for your queries.

1. What distinction are you using when you talk about Distributed vs. SOA?

Ans: Distributed and SOA both represent the same techniques to exchange information across boundaries. I write this by mistake.

2. What performance tests have you run on your systems?

Ans:- I have not run any performance or load test on system. As this query is not related to live project.

3. None of the above is actually useful without understanding the domain of the system. E.g. is there a need for a database? If so what type of database? How do the users sign in? What is the state-fullness of the data, Etc.

Ans: Yes, SQL server 2012 database will be there.

Tuesday, November 24, 2015 4:28 PM
  • It's still not a lot to go on without more information about the domain. E.g. why is SQL 2012 Db there? What is the purpose of the relational database in an SOA system?

Tuesday, November 24, 2015 8:20 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry for this confusion. As I am not talking about any existing system or any other system which I am going to design. I want to know for my knowledge that if any technical architect going to design any system then based upon what parameters they decide how many server they need and for what configuration. I know without complete information it is very difficult to tell but any estimate or idea like any server can handle this amount of user load a time at particular configuration.

You can take an example from below health care system. If we need to design following system then how we can decide server configuration and number of server for the same. I don't expect actual figure but any rough idea, if not then what approach we follow take these decision.

Wednesday, November 25, 2015 2:13 AM
  • Ankush is right, it's all about testing your designs. How you start the design can drive your choices too. E.g. if you know what devices you need to support then that can have a significant impact. E.g. in a peer to peer sharing design you would NOT have a central component. In an IE6 only world then you'd likely have no storage on the clients. You just can't answer a capacity planning question without first having a design.

Wednesday, November 25, 2015 9:25 AM